Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
wieland77
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 96 EXT EFI that started acting up. Machine starts and idles fine but will surge up and down at RPM between the clutch engaging than 5k or so than takes right off and runns perfectly fine at high rpm and wot. As you hold the throttle at say 5k it will jump in between 3-5k r's every couple of seconds consistantly. If you punch it at any time it comes alive and doesnt miss a beat??? I changed the plugs originally because both were a little black but not completly fouled but did not make any difference. i also pluged in the bypass for the throttle tts( has been plugged in for years now). The ECM also flashes 1 and then 3 which is "Open or short in intake air temp sensor" but it seems its had that same code sparratically for a while with no symptoms and i cant seem to get a good connection at the sensor to prevent that code (not sure if there is any relation?). Where do i start?? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

·
wieland77
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was thinking an air leak? so maybe the air temp might do that? Check for leaks and see if you can find a sensor.
AN air leak at maybe the throttle body boots or that? I sprayed either all over the engine compartment and around intake at idle to see if I could get a rise in R's and nothing? Boots look good too. Ive cleaned the connections and the code doesnt seem to rectify, even if the sensor was bad it wouldnt adversly affect the way the eng/fuel system works, would it? I guess i know ive had that same code in the past and engine ran perfect but im a little at a loss...

·
Grudman
683 Posts
I would start with the code and fix that first. Air sensor checks condition and adjust fuel mixture which could cause you engine to have those symptoms.

Also Check your crank case for air leaks you said you sparyed the motor and found nothing.

Other thing to check is fuel pressure in the rail. Does your sled have a trhottle possition sensor?

·
wieland77
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would start with the code and fix that first. Air sensor checks condition and adjust fuel mixture which could cause you engine to have those symptoms.

Also Check your crank case for air leaks you said you sparyed the motor and found nothing.

Other thing to check is fuel pressure in the rail. Does your sled have a trhottle possition sensor?
I did spray all around the case and throttle bodies with either and no change in R's. I also remember checking fuel pressure last year cause it started acting up then too- if i remember right it was around 36lbs all the way through the throttle range and i cant say for sure. I do remember it being where it should be at that time. i guess i can change the sensor out even though it looks fine and connection seems good. Hopefully that is all it is.

I believe the throttle/trigger does have a position sensor in it, does the bypass elliminate that though? Thanks, MIKE

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Definitely fix that code problem.
Start by unplugging the sensor and cleaning the connection, plug it back in and see if the code goes away. If it does not, then check the siring to it for continuity. If this is good and the code is still there, then replace the sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.