Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some feedback on my problem and what I am going to do.

1) Engine was rebuilt in March a local Polaris Dealership.
2) Ran great afterward and put 200 miles on before seasons end. Did start a little harder after I got it back though.

3) Got is out and cleaned the main and pilot jets. They were spotless as I expected since the engine was just rebuilt.
4) Replaced the carb boot on the PTO side because I could see dry cracking in the rubber.

Now here is the problem. It runs great, but won't idle. I have put 6 miles on it. When I come to a stop it slows to about 3000 rpm and than just drops to nothing unless I feather the throttle. I also need to give it 1/2 a "choke" to start it even if it is warm.

Now I know the pilot jets are clean because I took them and and they were spotless and could see through them. I was wondering if turning the air screw out (Richer) would help it hold idle?

What do you think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the air screw should be turned in on the polaris carbs for richer mix (opposite of a four stroke) if I am not mistaken

·
Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
Patcar is correct, if it's an air screw, turning the screw out will add more air, thus less fuel and make the air/fuel lean. Turning in makes less air, thus more fuel so the air/fuel is rich. Problems with idle and hard starting are normally in the pilot jet circuit, the hard starting could also be choke plungers not adjusted correctly.

Start with one turn out from lightly seated on the air screw, that's a good base line for most sleds. Then try turning in 1/8 of a turn at a time until it idles without dying. If you seat the air screw with no change, the pilot jets or air/fuel passages to the pilot jets are probably clogged. You may have to use a small wire in all the openings in the carb to get it running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts