Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I've got a 95 ZR 580 EFI that ate the clutch side piston. Pulled the jugs and the one is shot and the other doesn't look much better. The shrapnel from the piston locked up the crank. I figure my best bet is to drop in another engine. I've got a line on a 97 580 EXT EFI that was crashed. Will that engine work in the 95? If so, would I have to put the stator from the 95 into the 97 engine? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Direct swap. The main difference is that the 97 will be batteryless, so you will either need to swap over the wiring harness, or just change stators so you can use the existing harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!! Sounds like the easiest way to go would be to swap out the stators and use the 95 stuff. My guess is the better way to do it would be to use the 97 engine, wiring and electronics in the 95. I assume that has the potential to be a wiring nightmare.. Thanks for the help!! By the way, I'm in upstate New York. Rochester, to be exact.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
By only useing the 97 block and all the 95 stuff, including the flywheel!
Hey I might be interested in the left over stuff and junk? Thats why I asked where abouts you're at!

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did it work out for you? I have a similar issue. I dropped a 550 efi into a 95 Prowler only to discover that I have no spark. I have been told to change the wiring or the stator as the Prowler was not an EFI. I have all the wiring and parts to put the efi system back together, but think that just buying a stator would be easier. What did you end up doing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts