Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So up here in the great white north, shipping shipping across the border really affects the decision on buying old stock/used parts...

My master cylinder is weeping a little bit, still holding fluid in the system but it's going to need to be looked at soon. Rebuild kits seem to be pricy after shipping is included. Could a person just replace the whole brake lever/master cylinder with a new one that's a completely different style or will that throw off the braking and parking brake? There are some well reviewed levers that are cheaper than rebuilding. As long as the threads are correct to fit the brake line would it not work? That might be the tough part though is finding a compatible lever to an older style line? Maybe the resistance to low temperature is a key factor as well?

·
Super Moderator
18,333 Posts
I would think that if the threads to the hose fit and the cylinder will fit on the handlebar and the brake switch has a place to activate, you could pretty much use any cylinder system. Hydraulic pressure is hydraulic pressure, as long as the pressure provided is the same, your caliper won't know the difference. I've seen some pretty creative things done over the years, they looked weird but worked. It's all up to you and your mileage may vary ;)

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake light switch is down at the caliper so that's no issue. I'm sure even if I find one that suits with a different thread I might be able to find an adapter to make it work. Like you said, hydraulic pressure is hydraulic pressure

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Delayed follow up, bought a new master cylinder for $30 compared to a rebuild kit for the old one at $65 bucks shipped. Needed a M10x1.5 to 1/8npt fitting but everything fit together perfectly.

Works just great, but only gripe is that the lever is wayyyy larger than the original. I'm likely going to cut a bit out of the back side handlebar cover for the master cylinder to slide in a little bit and get the lever more in line with the grips. I may cut the lever off a little bit with the angle grinder and smooth it out, then plastidip for grip. It's got a parking brake also. And best part is no leaks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
bass
Could you let me know where you got your replacement master cylinder and possibly a part number. I have to work thru a similar issue. thanks. -j

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts