Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and just wanted to catch up on stuff here. I have a 95 xcr 600 as the title says. I was just wondering what you guys have to say about this sled(rumors about it, pro's and con's, anything I might need to know about it).

Also I am looking to add some power to this thing also. I was checking out SLP's cylendar heads and possibly triple pipes(little to expensive though) anyone with this sled on here that can tell me how good these things are? THe sled screams already but i want to add some more pull to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
600 xcr

ive had mine for three years now and i never had a single problem with it. as for performance, the heads and the pipes really put extra umph on the sled. i also have clutch work done and no 600 can touch me. i have 196 woody studs and slp skis. this helps with the handleing very much. the not so good about the sled would be the lack of suspension travel in the rear. i believe its only 7in or so. other then the travel in the rear i have no complaints about the sled. i even got 18 miles a gallon one time. i hope this helps and feel free to email my with any other questions. thanks brad. [email protected]

·
Registered
97 Posts
My other sled is a 95 xcr. I liked it, ran good, lots of torque with the triple. The thing that I found that made a good difference in performance was clutching, a different helix seemed to make a good difference. Also it has been rebuilt, bored over to the max. Yeah for how little suspension it has up front and rear it rides pretty good, Deep snow hasn't stopped that sled.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well that answers a few questions. I know that the lack of suspension travel could get a few people down about this sled. But I love it. I also am 18 years old and my back has fewer miles on it so that may help me get past that point. The one thing I did really notice about it is that it is very stable being so low to the ground. I rode my sled all winter long and then hopped onto a buddies zl 600 and nearly tipped it over at about 15 mph on a corner that mine would have started tipping at 30.

I have thought about studding just the inner belt on mine but I just dont know if I want to risk it. Plus the added weight doesnt appeal to me. I think I am going to start looking into upgrading the clutching first and then maybe the heads and pipes. The airbox on these things looks so restrictive also. Possibly I may look into making my own fiberglass air box with a k&n filter and rejetting that carbs for that. What do you guys think about that? good idea or bad? It would be fairly easy to do but I guess I am just asking if maybe the stock air box is better than I think it is.

Daner- have you noticed that in powder the headlight assembaly gets packed with snow. I think they make like covers that would eliminate that problem. That is about the only drawback that I notice. And a little hesitation for the clutch to grab at initial throttle. But clutching should help that.

Thanks for you input

·
Registered
28 Posts
to answer your daner question. yes the headlight cover keeps most of the snow out but not all. if you run a thin beed of clear caulk around the bottom of the cover between the windsheild, then you will be snow free.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I used to have a cover on mine but I broke 2 of them... don't ask how, they aren't pretty stories. But they did help for the most part. Sometimes the cover would Ice/fog up, and it didnt' really plug up with snow unless I was climbing hills and breaking through the drift at the top... didn't take much to just lean over the front and wipe the snow out. I never bother replacing it a second time.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
600'S HAD PROBLEMS WITH CRANK BEARINGS ('94-'97) CHECK THEM OUT. POL USED LIGHTWEIGHT BEARINGS AND DIDN'T HOLD UP WELL. JUST SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, my crank bearing when I rebuilt the motor on the xcr wasn't at it's prime for easy moving, was hard to spin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crank bearing

Well I plan on tearing it apart this next off season. Is there a good replacement so that I could avoid this problem? Or is the stock bearing the only one able to work with this engine?

I am assuming sinse I plan on adding more power to it, that the already not such a good bearing, could become even worse with more power.

Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
THEY DON'T USE THAT BEARING ANYMORE WENT TO A HEAVIER ONE. THE OLD BEARING WERE LIGHTWEIGHT SO THEY COULD SHAVE SOME WEIGHT OFF THE MOTOR BUT IT KINDA BACKFIRED
UP GRADED TO HEAVIER ONES TO CURE THE PROBLEM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts