Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my sled ran great last winter. Before I parked it , ran stable through it and covered her up. Recently I changed out the plugs, new fuel & a shot of seafoam . She starts and runs for 2 to 3 seconds and quits. Any advise?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does it start up again after it dies? Could be bad stator/coil? Sometimes stators can go bad if the sled sits for a while.... Maybe your choke is stuck/on?

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Clean the carbs, that seafoam or any add-a-cleaner is all garbage! Nothing works how it should. Your carbs are most likely gummed up from the old fuel. The best thing to do befor you start any sled after sitting is drain the fuel, clean the carbs, and add new oil. You should also run a little oil through your first tank of gas to help lubricate all those dry parts. All you need is about two or three caps full of 2-cycle oil in the fresh fuel. After this basic maintenance the sled should be ready for action. Spark plugs usually dont go bad because of sitting for a while. Also, another good practice is to grease all your fittings before your first ride. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Agreed, always a good idea to clean your carbs every season even if you think your sled is running well! Hate to say it RSR but I'm with saefoam all the way, I think that stuff does wonders! But I do agree that cleaning your carbs the old fashioned way is the best thing to do!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Thank you for your replies, I'm not much of a mechanic .
some simple hand tools and assistance from the knowledgable ones on this site and you will have them clean in no time. perhaps a bit daunting getting started but with 2 carbs and doing one at a time, the references for reassembly are right in your hands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts