Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a brief history. I purchased a used 95 Vmax that the previous owner had attempted to pipe, clutch, etc. They gave up after wasting a season trying to get it to run correctly. I purchased it minus all the goodies (and any info about what they were up to!). Of course it ran like crap, and I wasted a full season before I realized it had strange aftermarket jets installed. I put the carbs back to stock configuration, and resumed my quest. Now at season two, I could not get the sled to start. Checking the basics, I realised the compression was also low (anyone get the hint that this was a bad purchase yet?). I wasted season two rebuilding the engine. I had to resleeve the cylinders, and the machine shop kept my parts for most of the season. Ahh... season three. Nice compression, carb back to normal, still very hard to start. I assume it still needs to be broken in, and try to put a few hours on it. Every time it is cold, it refuses to start. Richer on the primary only makes it load up at idle.
Fast forward past a couple idle seasons... still almost impossible to start. I have to manually prime it with gas directly in the cylinders 3-4 times before it will catch and run on it's own. Anyone else get that nasty bruise on their hand from pulling these things?
So, with all of that out of the way... is there a priming circuit on these carbs that might be obstructed? I thoroughly cleaned them when I purchased it, but perhaps I missed something? There are no obvious intake leaks. The fuel pump was replaced from a nonrelated failure. I used to have an SRV that started with 1/2 a pull summer or winter. This machine has dulled my love for the sport. Any ideas? Anything the previous owner may have modified inside the carb that I missed?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Does it have a choke and a primer? My sleds don't have a choke, just a primer. Have to prime it when cold, then all set after that. If it has a choke, are the cables adjusted correctly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, it does not have a primer (wish it did!). The chokes appear to be adjusted correctly. Just to be sure, I shimmed out the choke lever an additional 1/4" to reach the end of the cable travel. No difference.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You may have a slight air leak in one of the lines or fuel pump which is letting the fuel bleed out of the lines and back into the tank. You have to pull it a million times to get the lines full again. Are the lines clear? Can you see the fuel in them?

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
Bad purchase from someone who didn't have a clue.:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the fuel lines. It was difficult to tell if a line is full, or fully empty! I removed them, and they were full. I even pulled it a couple strokes to verify the fuel pump was working. Yep.. plenty of fuel flowing from the pump.
I removed the carbs again to see if there are any clogged paths that I might have missed. I only had enough time to pull the jets and inspect for clogging, but they were all fine.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Does it run OK when warm? If so, order an aftermarket primer kit for it. About $25, and that'll solve the problem!! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts