Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my engine rebuilt last year. Now it leaks clean injector oil from the front of the engine below the water pump/exhaust outlet. I checked all the oil lines and they are all good. any ideas on where it could be leaking from?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crank

no the crank was deemed to be OK and was not changed. The crank seals have all been changed.:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an easy way to patch it without taking the engine back out? It was just put back in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone else have any ideas? I don't want to take the engine out unless i ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had this problem with my 521. For whatever reason, the cases don't seem to seal there...The first time I rebuilt it, it leaked. you cant hurt anything because the crank has 2 inner seals to seal each cylinder. Its just oil leaking for the rotary valve, water pump gear..ect. Anyway...What I did was orange gasket maker on the outside of the engine. It was the only thing I could do unless I wanted to take the bottom case off again...So I smeared some of that in the "crack." On mine there is a 2 or 3mm indent the whole way along the seam...I filled it with gasket maker and it stopped. Not pretty, but it worked.

This time when I rebuilt it, I made sure I put lots of crankcase sealer in that area. And even for a precation, I put gasket maker on the outside...

Funny you had this problem too...I just thought I had not put enough sealer the first time I did the engine...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HEY
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have a look at mine where the case comes together. I imagine the metal will need to be pretty clean in order for the gasket sealer to stick....That will be a great fix.....I am going to try it this weekend....

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just looked at mine today...and it's leaking too...friggggg...I knew I shouldnt have read this post! lol. Yea...high heat red silicone. Looks like I'll be doing it this weekend as well!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a quick fix,but they never last.Just read the post.It's the beginning of the season,for the time it will take to fix it properly you won't miss much sledding.If it were me I would do it right now and forget about it.Use 518 loctite and it will stop leaking.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The seal on the crankcases isnt the problem here. That part of the crankcases isnt supposed to be sealed. Because....when the seals on the rotary calve assembly start to go bad you will either get antifreeze(bad seal for the water pump) or oil(bad seal for oil pump). When one of those seals go its supposed to run between the cases and out of the motor so it can be seen.
The cases need to be split on this motor and a real gasket replacement should be doen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my 94 formula Z 583 had the engine rebuilt with new pistions last year at the ski doo dealer i took it out for a ride this year and it was leeking clean oil from below the waterpump and i took it back in and they told me my rotary valve seals were leeking and they charged me for the parts but no labor i would gues your have the same problem your rotary valve seals may be bad

·
Registered
466 Posts
And I had new seals to put there and didn't because I've never taken the shaft out...Didn't want to disturb anything..I guess the seals been gone for a while. But wouldnt it be the water pump seal leaking if it leaks out the front of the motor and it would be prestone and not oil..? Im confused.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Its just a seep hole, not necessarily under the water pump but under the rotary valve shaft. The water pump and oil pump driver are on the same shaft. If the seal to the water pump goes antifreeze will run out the seep hole. If the seal to the oil pump goes than oil will come out the seep hole.

Long story short. Pull the engine and seal it right. Always.

·
Registered
34 Posts
it sounds like the same problem i had with my 583 i would start and run my sled and there would be clean oil all over the belly pan and on my garage floor my rotary valve / oil pump seals went out i would start there it will fix your problem if u dont know how to fix it pull the engine and bring it to a shop it will caust u $250

·
Registered
466 Posts
You cant pull the rotary plate off and replace the seal that way? What holds the shaft in? I only drag race the sled so i'm not too worried. It's 45$ for another gasket kit plus the time of splitting the cases again...yuck. I'll do mine next summer...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just called the doo dealer. They said it does sound like the oil sals are gone. They are quoting 4 to 4.5 hours labour to replace the oil seals at $100 an hour plus parts.

I am mechanically inclined and would like to attempt to do this myself. Has anyone done this before? They said to replace the oil seals the engine does not need to come out? Any help would be appreciated....or a link to a manual??

J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts