Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang. well, we finally got some snow and i finally got a sled. been riding 2 wheels all my life but this will be my first winter on a sled since i was 10 yrs old. so i picked up a 95 formula stx 583. shes in great shape. about 3500 miles, liquid cooled, reverse, and heated grips/thumb. 150 psi compression on both cyls. so im just wondering what you all think of these sleds. dependable, hi/low mantainence, anything i need to address, or keep my eyes on, how it does on trails vs. deep snow. gas hog, etc. any info would be great, im pretty excited to get out there. thanks, bradford

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious just bought 95 stx 583 1700 miles looks like new runs great once i get it started it seems very difficult to pull starter recoil is this normal and if it is is ther any way to ease this proublem such as different recoil ratio or even electric start thanks jbs

·
Registered
315 Posts
my 583 (summit) is pretty hard to pull over as well , i have heard nothing but good about the 583 engine , other than it can be a pain to start. i have not had mine for even a week yet so can't tell ya much more than that !

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a 96 formula stx this year,it's been a great sled so far(3 rides) had to run 89 octane gas on the first ride(learned to fuel up at home) only got around 8mpg on that tank,next tank was 93 and seemed to get better milage and ran a whole lot better,they're putting 10% ethanol in the 89 around here.from what i hear all the 583's are a bull to pull start!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
They are difficult to pull start but you will get used to it. I own two 1994 Formula stx's but haven't owned them long - so far they are great. One is stock the other has K&Ns and clutch work - that thing absolutely hauls and lifts the front constantly. They are both very fast...you will love it!

jbs - when you post a question start your own thread instead of hyjacking someone elses...you will get more direct responses as well that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good Sled

Hey, I have had a 1995 Formula stx for four years now and its a great sled. The 583 motor is bullet proof. Its a pretty quick sled.
I clean the carbs every year, change the chain case oil and make sure everything is greased.Its been a great second sled.

A friend of mine had one years ago and held it wide open on a long lake run and blew the motor. He admitted that he just held it to the bar and didnt bother to back off the throttle now and then.

They are pigs to pull over and when cold are even worse. Give it a slow pull to move the parts around in case something is sticking or frozen. You will need to figure out your own system/sequence for starting.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive found that when cold, i just give it 3 pumps on the primer and she starts first pull. after i synched the carbs, i found out that i had the idle too high (over 2400) so when i would come to a stop, the driven clutch wouldnt back off all the way so she would want to stall out. then id was a bear to restart because it would flood out. ive turned the idle down to 1600 and that took care of the clutch grabbing problem. ive heard that they do flood easy. do you all run ngk 9es plugs? ive read that people have better luck w/ 8es as they burn the fuel better and prevent foulling of plugs. anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my freind had one also great sled but hard to pull over by the time u got it started to tired to ride he paid 600 and put electric start on it
do you know where he got the electric start kit. i cant seem to find one anywhere. does the starter fit all the rotax 583 engines from around that year as the earliest one i can find is for a 96 and up?

·
Registered
350 Posts
u need to find a ring gear, starter, the correct brackets to mount the starter, battery box,plus wiring u can make yourself... i think the starters are about all the same its the bracket that counts... i wld be checking out local salvage yards or ebay etc.... last year my uncle found all the parts he needed for around $200 paid $40 for a used ring gear, $80 for a rebuilt starter and the rest was battery box, wiring and a clutch tool to pull the clutch in order to install the ring gear

·
Registered
8 Posts
I trailered my 95 stx home the other day (two hours driving) and forgot to shut the gas off. I had to take the exhaust off and poured out about a litre and a half of gas.

Also, I agree they flood very easily.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i dont know about the br8es but...... when i got my 583(summit )a few weeks ago
it had champion plugs in it, i took it out twice with the champions in it , everytime
i would stop it would be a real pain to get it to fire again ! i went and got some
br9es plugs and put in it, it was way better !!! it would start better after i stop ,
it was easier to start after it had sat for week. aparently mine likes ngk's better
than champions???

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i read on another thread that there is a plug that will not foul, but they are $9 each. not a bad deal if that plug will get me through the season. ive read where guys have had the same plugs in their sleds for years. crazy. have any of you heard about these plugs or used them?

·
Registered
315 Posts
9 bucks a plug?? sounds like an "irridium" plug to me . that is pricey !!
but i have heard of them going for 18 bucks a piece . ngk's are two and half ,
you could buy quite a few ngk's for that kind of price difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
stx starting tip

I just recieved a tip to start my 95 583 stx.

My buddy advised me to prime it three times. Pull the primer out for a fourth prime but dont push it in.

Hold the throttle down and as you pull it over let out on the throttle at the same time.

If she bogs shoot the fourth prime into'er.

I have tried it three times now on cold days (-10 to -20) and its a been money.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
If it runs I ride it
71 Posts
I had one and the are a pain to start. Try priming it like 4-5 and then pu once and then throttle it and pull. Netter if one person has throttle while you pull but alone obviously works too! Hope you have fun that things. A ball!

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts
have a 96 formula sls 500 for the last few years. not the 583 but it is a great sled. Putting a starter on it was the best thing ever. It's worth the time and effort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.