Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 arctic cat puma 340, got it for free off the farmer and it doesn’t start, haven’t tried starting it yet, I want to clean it up before I do so. It has bad gas, the gas cap rusted in the tank, needs fuel lines and a 20A fuse and a battery, any tips on where I should start or what more I can expect? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Welcome
You really do want to get it all cleaned up
I just went through my old ZR and yep did it all
New pick up in tank as well as new fuel pump kit and fuel lines
A point some miss is the Pilot(up the tube) circuit.
I take a std straight screw driver and grind the sides to fit!
Then remove the jets and the air screw and spray that passage!

As for the battery one of the best things I did was to rework the battery box to fit a lawn mower battery!

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
I agree, getting all the fuel system clean and operating correctly before you even try to start it would be how I would start. Then look at everything that moves; driveline and jackshaft bearings, the rear suspension bearings, any tie rod ends or heim joints. Then if your electrical is ok, it should at least run and you can figure out what you will need to do to the primary and secondary.

Good luck, some times free sleds cost more than going and finding a good used one on Craigslist ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, getting all the fuel system clean and operating correctly before you even try to start it would be how I would start. Then look at everything that moves; driveline and jackshaft bearings, the rear suspension bearings, any tie rod ends or heim joints. Then if your electrical is ok, it should at least run and you can figure out what you will need to do to the primary and secondary.

Good luck, some times free sleds cost more than going and finding a good used one on Craigslist ;)
Thanks and I’m here working on it now I’ll repost soon and give everyone an update everything seems in great condition and I’m going to try that battery, but also can I jump it with a car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s true they are very small and I have a bunch of fuses if they pop, when I first looked the sled over I found a 20v popped so I grabbed a couple from work out of microwaves. And can someone explain the engine oil process? Do I have to change it, if so how? or can I add to the oil tank and call it good?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also do i mix the gas before I add it or is that what I that oil reservoir is for? And for injection oil can I use 5w30?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
No it must be 2 stroke oil. 5w30 is not a 2 stroke oil. Oil Reservoir is for oil injection. It should still work but what I would do is drain all the old stuff fill it 3/4 of the way with 2 stroke oil and put a piece of tape to the point where I filled it. I would then do a mix for the 1st tank so you are protected regardless if the oil injection is working yes it will smoke like crazy but when you get back home you will know exactly how much you used and that it is working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The oil injection resivour is leaking somewhere underneath put a whole quart in and it just came out the bottom, also the carb isn’t getting any gas, I’ve cleaned the tank and the tank line but there was pieces of black hose in there, is that the fuel pickup line? It wants to start I can hear it, I blew a fuse trying to start it, any tips will be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Clean the carbs, fuel pump and replace all the fuel lines.
Dont worry bout battery or even jump starting!
With carbs cleaned it will only take a couple of pulls!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you pulled line out from the tank then I would be replacing it with some Tygon and the weighted fuel filter at the end of it should also be in there somewhere as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts