Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 xlt touring with electric start. Will only run with the black/white wire disconnected from cdi. I checked continuity on key and kill switch and not test good. I have checked the wiring and don’t see it shorted to ground any where. Anything else I’m missing? I have tried 2 different known good CDi’s same issue.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Measure continuity from the black/white wire sled-side to ground. If you have continuity and the key and kill switch and tether are all in RUN mode, then you have a short somewhere.

In my experience, the key ignition switch on those older Polaris's absolutely sucked. High failure rate. Of the 3 Polaris's that I used to own, (1992, 1995, and a 1997), the keyswitch failed on the 95 and 97. I just put a hidden switch on all three of them. The 1992 didn't really fail, but just about every key worked in it, including my Arctic Cat keys.

ignition, kill switch and tether are all connected in Parallel. Along with the TPS if equipped. Any of them have continuity, it kills the motor.

Attached diagram illustrates it. The TPS/TSS (Throttle Position Switch or AKA Throttle Safety Switches, one of the switches is always closed. When one opens, the other will close. There are two microswitches inside the throttle handle.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts