Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to snowmobile ownership and was hoping someone could possibly point me in the right direction. I recently bought a 95 Ski-doo MX 470. The sled won’t rev over 6k rpms with the track off the ground or under load. Download the service manual and 7200 is top rpm. Tops out about 40 mph under load. Hits 70+ when track is up.(not sure if that matters) Also when sled is in unpacked area it occasionally will not move. Throttle to the bars and no movement just smoking and reving. Feather the throttle for 15 seconds and it’s back moving. It’s idles and starts great and the carbs were said to be cleaned by previous owner. After reading other treads I’m thinking to start with clutching? Any ideas? Thoughts? Thank you

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 93 470 for a long time, these sleds do not like stale/last years gas. Drain all gas out of that thing put some fresh in, add a little mechanic in a bottle. > make sure there is not a mouse house in the air box or the silencer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 93 470 for a long time, these sleds do not like stale/last years gas. Drain all gas out of that thing put some fresh in, add a little mechanic in a bottle. > make sure there is not a mouse house in the air box or the silencer.
Thank you zobenv. I will start there today.

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
Welcome
Fresh gas clean the carbs and the fuel pump and do yourself a favor and replace all the fuel lines including the pick up in the tank!
Then scrub the clutches with a scotch bright and blow them out real good!
Then measure the center to center on the clutches, get it right!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts