Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I ride for an extended period of time my brake lever gets harder and harder to apply. Last week when I was riding the brakes seemed to get so hot that they locked up and the sled wouldnt move. I let them cool down and the brakes worked fine again and didnt have that problem the rest of the day. Rode today and brakes seemed to do same thing, get hot and then hang up. They never locked up today but I could tell they were hanging up because the sled would slow down in a hurry as soon as I let off the throttle. Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey-I had the same problem with my 97 Mach Z.I just bought it the week before.Anyway my problem turned out to be zero brake fluid from a leaking master cylinder.Mine got so hot it burned the pull-start rope.The master cylinder was leaking at the seal where the brake lever plunges in & out of the master cylinder.We found that out after completey flushing the cylinder,line and caliper.With fresh fluid and a bleed it was leaking terribly at the seal.Got a used master cylinder & brake lever assembly off ebay for $40.Every thing works as it should now.I was told too much fluid would make the caliper lock up too because of expansion-the fluid could not return to the cylinder because of lack of space in the cylinder.I think i explained that right.Something to check out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the caliper off yesterday and retracted both pistons and they seemed to go back fine. Noticed a groove worn in the brake pad guide pins, perhaps the pads are getting stuck on the groove? Also it appears that the rotor was grinding on the inside of the caliper. Maybe my brake pads are too low. I also checked the fluid and added fresh fluid and bled each side of the caliper a few times. Seemed to work ok for a while and they ended up doing the same thing last night, after a moderately long ride the lever got stiff and it felt like they were dragging. I also didnt see any leaks at all. I guess I will try to get new pads and maybe new pins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I ride for an extended period of time my brake lever gets harder and harder to apply. Last week when I was riding the brakes seemed to get so hot that they locked up and the sled wouldnt move. I let them cool down and the brakes worked fine again and didnt have that problem the rest of the day. Rode today and brakes seemed to do same thing, get hot and then hang up. They never locked up today but I could tell they were hanging up because the sled would slow down in a hurry as soon as I let off the throttle. Any idea what could be causing this?
I had a similar problem with my '96 F III, what I found out the problem was - there is a VERY small fluid return hole inside the fluid reservoir. (You'll probably need to dry all fluid out of reservoir just to see return hole)

You need to take like a sewing needle (yes it is that small) and work it around in the hole to open it up. I then COMPLETELY flushed the brake lines and caliper with compressed air to remove any small contaminates.

Then refill and bleed, I have not had any problems since.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
my sled did this too and i took the master apart its was full of crap, i also found the one small port in the master was plugged i cleaned it with a torch tip cleaner then put it all bak together it is good as new now

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been having the same problem with 96 Formula SL 500, works fine and after things get warmed up on longer rides it starts dragging, forcing me to bleed off the pressure and then wondering about my fluid level.......I always figured that there was a small return port and wondered if it may be plugged or drawing debree back up into it causing the pressure build up and eventually caliper lock up.
I'll clean it and bleed it with fresh fluid...
Thanks everybody!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.