Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here and was looking for some help. I rode my Jag last week and everything was fine. It sat on the trailer for about a week. I went to ride it and it wouldnt start. I looked everywhere and I cant find the cause. I have bypassed all of the kill switches and the key as well. The headlight DOES light when I pull it. There is also NO spark in either cylinder. I have no idea how to check the coil or the stator, or the CDI. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to find the issue. This sled has ALWAYS run perfectly. Its the only one the kids can start and they are on me to get it going, PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You've done all you can do without having a shop, etc test the coil, etc. I would say I've seen CDI's go more than stators. CDI's the most likely culprit, but can't say for sure...:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I know the coil is ok. I actually plugged it in to my Ski Doo and it worked :) I am guessing I need more than 4 volts coming from the CDI to the coil? I checked the ski doo and it showed well over 100 and the Jag is only showing 4 on a GOOD pull. I have 30 volts coming from each wire on the stator so I am pretty sure that is ok. Do you think the CDI is the culprit?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sounds like both the primary and secondary coils are okay. What's left...?

Got any buddies with sleds that take your CDI? I'd try to swap it into someone else's sled, if possible.

I just got done fixing a 2000 440 Panther with no spark. Turned out to be a primary coil. But unlike you, my primary coil checked out wide OPEN with an ohm meter. You, at least, have power coming out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have power coming out if I put the coil on a different sled. My dealer wont give a single bit of info because they want me to bring it in. I dont have access to antoher sled to put the CDI on, but comparing numbers off of the ski doo it all leads back to the cdi not putting out enough volts. I have more volts coming out of the stator than I do coming out of the CDI. I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy the CDI, I was just hoping to get a little feedback on the actual numbers that the CDI should be putting out. I am trying to locate a shop manual for it but I am not having any luck.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sorry I can't help you further. There are really only three parts that can be bad, and you've narrowed it down pretty good.

I do understand though... I originally thought my CDI was bad. According to SEG, it's *much* more common for that to fail. In one thread, he mentioned that he has changed LOTS of CDI's, but only 2 or 3 primary coils in all his years of working on engines. So, like you - I was looking for some assurance before I went and bought parts. That was even after buzzing out the coil, and seeing an open circuit. Once I got the coil off, I got the assurance I needed to go ahead and order the $107 part. I found a little burn mark in the winding area. That was enough to make me feel good about ordering a primary coil.

The GOOD news for you is that your CDI is used on a billion (okay, so I exaggerated) models! Look here: http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Dealer_showpart/lookup.cgi?part=3005-066

You should have no problem getting a used CDI at a bone yard, or on eBay. My CDI was only made for 1999 and 2000 340 & 440 sleds. I could not locate a used one anywhere, and believe me, I tried!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put the new CDI in last night and that was not it. I went back through every check and came up with nothing. I am starting to think now that it might be the primary ignition coil? I think I am going to throw in the towel and just haul it in to the dealer.

By the way.. I have a nice brand new CDI for sale if anyone is interested :)

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I nominate rgoers as the new ignition tech!!!:D Sorry the CDi didn't do it. That only leaves the stator left. You can also unplug the harness at the engine, which bypasses ALL switches, etc. and see if it has spark then. Just make sure the coil wires are still plugged in.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
smallengineguy said:
I nominate rgoers as the new ignition tech!!!:D ...
Gee, thanks SEG (I think)...

Afterall, I *was* taught by the best! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have lights when I pull it over. I have bypassed all of the switches. I even put the coil on a different machine to make sure it was good. I hate not being able to figure things out!! To even post here was a huge step for me lol. I do appreciate the help fellas. I assume that I can just change the coil on the stator, I dont need to purchase a complete stator?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
That would be correct. If you have lights, your light coil should be good. Did you take a meter reading across the two primary coil wires?

BTW, don't be shy. I have gotten more help here than you can imagine! That's *why* everybody is here - to help each other out. It's nothing to be embarassed about. Getting help here is *not* in the same league as actually "reading" an instruction manual (a source of shame for any man).

:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i did take a reading. I think it was right around 14.5? I have recently purchased a better ohm meter and should try it again again. what is so odd about the whole thing is that it ran fine, I shut it off.. started it up 5 minutes later, put it on the trailer. It sat for roughly a week and bam, no spark. its just weird to me. Anyway, do you have an idea on what that reading should be on the 200 ohm scale?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It's a coil, so I would expect that it would be close to a dead short. 14.5 ohms doesn't sound too bad, but I don't know what the *exact* number should be.

Here's another thought. I had a problem with my 2000 ZL550 (no spark) and it turned out to be a *flywheel* problem! I bought it (used) that way. Somehow the magnets had come off the flywheel, and stuck to the coils. It pulled over fine, but there was no magnetic field being created, and thus, no spark.

Oh... but you did say the lights worked... hmmm. Couldn't be the flywheel, I wouldn't think.

You can wait until I get home, so I can measure the resistance of my coil - but then again, mine being a 2000 model, and yours a '94, that might just confuse the issue more. You could try calling a couple local dealers and asking them what it should be. You might get one willing to help you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have tried the locals.. They pretty much want me to bring it in. I just called the one around the corner and they charge a one hour labor for trouble shooting. I was thinking it might just be worth the 60 bucks to learn what the heck it is. I can fix it once i know the problem. If you dont mind checking yours that would eb great. Like you say, it is a coil and I would think they would be comparable. Atleast this way i KNOW what a good one checks. I am going back over it again with a fine toothed comb ONE more time and if I cant get it tonight, I'll take it in tomorrow.

Again, Thanks so much for taking the time to work with me.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Okay. I took my DVM out there, so I didn't have to fiddle with getting the scale reading right.

Across the black/red and red/white wires (with connector unplugged, of course) reads 136.2 ohms. It's really about 134 ohms - because I get about a 2 ohm reading with the meter leads shorted. Anyway, that is a lot different from what you're getting. What do you get with your meter leads shorted together (hope it's around 14.5 ohms). ;)

You may have a shorted coil...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
again, thanks for all of the super prompt feedback. I have learned a ton from this problem, but after a weeks worth of frustration my wife demanded i take it in before the kids go crazy. Anyhow, its in the shop and I am supposed to have it diagnosed by the end of the week. As soon as i find out i'll post back here. Hopefully what i learn from this will help someone else down the road.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
DonColliau said:
... after a weeks worth of frustration my wife demanded i take it in before the kids go crazy.
Ahhhhhhhhh..... and you were *so* close!

Isn't that typical? Just when you've tried every other road, and only have one side-street you haven't driven down left... *SHE* demands that you stop and ask directions. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts