Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking out my cousins sled. Its a 95 indy 500 with reverse. Well when you drive it to get it into the shop it would clunk like it was jumping a gear or something. Checked out and found belt was missing a whole bunch of ribs. Put a different belt on and now it dont do it unless you get into it and it rumbles and vibrates the whole sled. Checked chain tension and is ok no teeth broke. Checked track and dont see broke lugs on track and drive wheels look fine. Kinda lost now. Only things are what is the play in the track supposed to be at? and also how much should you be able to move the track before the gears start moving? it moves like 2 inches versus less the a inch on his z 440.
Any help appreciated i tried to explain everything thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,897 Posts
Is the belt new? A worn belt with a wear spot will create that problem. Examine the belt for a flat spot somewhere on it's edge.

The reverse gear chaincase has a lot of slack compared to a non-reverse gear chaincase. If you can compare track movement to a sled with mechanical reverse, that may give you a better idea if the slack is ok.

Sometimes when a belt that has cogs missing is run for a while, it can mess up the crank. Snowmobile cranks are pretty fragile and can go out of true easily. Does the clutch seem to spin true at idle? If it's wobbly at all, check the total crank runout. If it's excessive, having the crank trued and the bearings checked may be necessary.

Track tension should be about 3/8" to 1/2" with a 10 lb weight hanging from the track. I use a weight on the inside of the track to accomplish the same thing, just remember to take it out when finished!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The belt isnt new but looked fine. as for the reverse that takes care of that. I will have to check the crank and the track tension i think is too loose.
Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Maybe try cleaning the clutch faces and driven pully. Could be the old belt left some garbage on there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well apparently the track was that loose cause tightened it up alot and now didnt do it today. Hopefully that was it.
Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
You Could Try To tighten up your Track becasue the driveshaft could be slippin over the nobs on the track

1 - 7 of 7 Posts