Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, new here and to sleds, been doing tons of reading on this, just picked up a 1995 formula z 583 on the cheap, never heard it run except when i first got it the p.o. put some starting fluid in it and it ran for about 7 seconds then nothing.
what i've done-
-took carbs off, cleaned them and bowls, all 4 floats moved freely, everything looked good to me, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.
- took exhaust off because i read they fill up sometimes, mine had about half a gallon of fuel in it, maybe more so i dumped that and left it off.
- new plugs, took airbox off and plugs out and been letting it sit for a night, except the exhaust was on till just now so maybe it didn't air out as good as it could have?
- i'm told it has a new fuel pump, it's full of gas, but i can't seem to get it dry. i've been pulling a lot trying to get no mist to come out but it keeps coming. oh and inline fuel shut off switch is off, been off now since last night. not sure if the gas is from me or from sitting in previous owners barn for a long time, switch was open when i got it.

so... i'm stuck. i know flooding is a super common issue with these but i don't know any of the right words for parts so any advice would be great. keep in mind i know nearly nothing about these things so really, anything would help.
i can take pictures of things if that would help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the exhaust was full of fuel, the bottom end probably is as well. I would pull the carbs and suck the fuel out the crankcase with a vacuum pump, one like you would get to self bleed brakes on a car. The needle and seat in one of the carbs is probably stuck, need to clean or replace them. I am also new at wrenching on sleds but like most engines, these carbs need to be spotless. Good luck, Jon.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Check the spark too. New plugs won't help if you have no spark ;).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cleaned carbs and bowls and valves several times, so i think they are good to go, i'm
getting a new coil tomorrow morning because i checked for spark a bunch of different times and it only worked about 1 outta 15 tries. everything is dry now as far as i can tell, no mist coming out of the spark plug holes, so we'll see what happens. hopefully it doesn't need a cdi box or anything else, i want to ride!
thanks for advice!

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
999:1 says it's not your coil and it's one of your safety features or a bad ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only reason i said the bit about getting a new coil was because i am essentially clueless when it comes to these engines, it wasn't getting spark so i decided it needed a coil, and didn't look for any other problem. but unplugging those two things worked, and it has started easily ever since. (two days haha)

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Which two things?

Coils almost never go bad for future reference ;).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, sorry, replied to the wrong thread, i started another one asking about whether or not i could unplug the ignition- came with no key- and unplug the kill switch- button broken on top- and have it run, if it were possible etc. so i unplugged those two and now it runs great, usually starts one pull.

sorry for responding like that! your advice about it not being the coil was correct, i just forgot which thread i was on for a sec.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Well like I said, safety features. The kill switch probably needs replacing. I'd get that done ASAP, you never know when you're going to need it. I've had problems with ice in my ignition preventing the key from turning or going in at all so I always leave it on and use my kill switch. The problem with leaving the ignition unplugged is that the slightest bit of moisture can cause it to screw up and then you're going to have a big headache trying to get it to start and continue to run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey!! I seem to have the same problem, hoe could i resolve this?
I have a 1995 formula z, it starts well when cold but once warmed up, if i let it idol its always stalls. My I've also gone through many plugs, they foul like crazy!! what could cause this?
Any suggestions?

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i think he called you a hoe.:D

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Dany I'd say you have your carbs adjusted for low temp idle. You need to fool around with your carb adjustments (idle screw for gas, pilot air jet screw for air). You're probably going to need a choke/primer to start it and either leave the choke half on or play with the gas once in a while until it warms up, but that would solve your idle problem. Btw this isn't the same problem... :laugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm planning on replacing the kill switch and ignition when i get some cash flow, as of now i'm using the tether switch to turn it off. the next issue is that it seems to bog down at higher speeds, so i was thinking of cleaning the rave valves to start and go from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts