Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1995 Polaris indys headlight has the following problem, upon startup after its been sitting more than 10 min or so, the headlight will come on but only be very dim, on both high a low switch. the console and brake light also become very dim. there still on but dim.... after you run the machine for approx 10-15 min the headlight will flicker as well as the taillight and console lights, then very soon after turn on and work properly until you turn the machine off for a few minutes, then it repeats itself... i have no idea what is causing this, is it my heating coil, or a wiring problem or what? help please.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
not shure mine doese it to but no time frame never go out but flicker last night was first time in 2 years that both stayed on the way they should may be something with regulator

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine does similar, bought a used regulator on ebay, still have same problem. perhaps I will buy new regulator.

anyone know how to test a voltage regulator?

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
sound likke a bad ground

you may have a bad ground on it

also check with a volt meter when running if you got good voltage should be 12 to 14 v if not may be bad voltage regulator

but check your ground it most likey that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, so the problem is more than likely my voltage regulator, anybody know how much a new one is gonna cost me?

·
Registered
5 Posts
just priced them, OEM part is approx $60, aftermarket is approx $28, and there are a bunch of used ones on ebay for variety of prices. warning, i bought one on ebay, and it too was bad.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
ya i just bought one 4 my sons skidoo and lights still didnt work found some fraid wires near stator that rewind rope rubed on fix them and now got lights but my 95 polaris 650 still flickersuntil she gets warmed up i would recomend buying new reg good luck lights seem to help when riding at night

·
Registered
5 Posts
got mine working last night, new regulator did the trick.

also, I checked some resistance and voltages

Resistance checks

1. resistance: yellow wire (back to stator) and brown ground wire (wires that connect to regulator)
1. result: had 0.6 ohm, which is the resistance of the stator coil. spec says between 0.4 and 0.9 ohm. if you have very high resistance, your wiring or stator coil is bad. This confirmed my wiring to stator was ok, and that stator itself is ok.

2. resistance: brown wire to engine ground
2. result: initially had about 0.5 ohms, but should be as close to zero as possible. added some star washers to the regulator mount, dropped it to 0.2 ohms. This confirmed I had a good ground.

3. resistance: yellow wire (at regulator) to yellow wire (at headlight)
3. result: 0.1 ohms. This confirmed my wiring to headlight was ok.

4. voltage at yellow wire (with engine idling) regulator unplugged
4. result: varied between 14 - 16 VAC

5. voltage at yellow wire (with engine idling) regulator plugged in.
5. result: varied between 12-13 VAC

my light now works great, new regulator, improved grounding, no frayed or broken wires.

Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where is my voltage regulator located, so i can replace it. thank you by the way your help is very appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
it's located just above your right foot, it has 2 wires going to it. a brown and a yellow. it's easy to get at and easy to change.

if you don't have star washers, I would add some. mine did not have any, they help improve the grounding of the tab.

the brown wire should have a ring terminal, and goes under one of the screws.

here's a pic of one

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright, thank you very much, i will order another regulator then post back how it works out, thanks guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts