Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 zr580 carbed moddel finally got the sled to run good after a rebuild, but now am leaking coolant out the back of the motor. It runs out somewhere below the carbs but also pools a little inbetween the cylinders. Any suggestions on what to cheack before i pour some gas on this thing and burn it to the ground.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Get it idling for a few minutes and check the cap and reservoir. There's a big hose that goes down under your gas tank and to the heat exchangers. Other than the stuff you can see in plain sight, that's the only other place it could leak from.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the coolant lines run to that area? it looks to me like its coming from somewhere right in the middle just below the carbs? i was thinking maybe a base gasket but when i rebuilt this motor i put new basegaskets in it so idk, anything would be helpful though

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
not sure about your sled, but at least on my '01 efi the coolant line runs through the throttle body. The connector into that is only friction fit, and I had it come lose while idling once.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i would pressure test the cooling system there could have been a problem with the new gaskets!! Did you use permatex if so that could have caused a high spot in the gasket causeing a leak or if the jugs a warped it could cause a leak too from what you described it sounds like bad gaskets!!

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
From what I remember if you remove the airbox the coolant line should go right in front of (almost under) the gas tank. It comes from the heat exchangers, goes up that thick black line (I'm calling it a line, I guess it's more of a hose) and into the engine, where it circulates back to the reservoir.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i know what lines you are talking about and its nothing to do with them. And no i never used permetx on them just put the new gaskets in, and the jusgs came off of a running motor so i dont know as to why they would be warrped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts