Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my XLT lost lighting on the trail and I discovered the regulator was bad by pulling the yellow wire off of it at idle and the lights came back on. I put a NEW regulator and hedlight bulb on and everything was OK for a few hours of riding.
Today it lost the low beam and the lights would flicker brighter and then back to normal when you came off idle.
Now the headlight is totally burned out and the regulator doesn't seem to be working at all. What would cause a regulator to burn out in hours? What can I do to prevent this from happenning again before I buy another new regulator?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Was it a aftermarket regulator? The only reason I ask is, I had major problems with the cheap ones you get from the mail order places. I finally broke down and spent the cash to buy one right from Polaris. Also, make sure the metal is clean under the regulator. The aluminum block under the regulator always developes corrosion. Take some sand paper and clean it well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, was $18 from ShadeTree. Looked exactly like the one that was on there....same markings and everything. I did clean up the area it mounts to before I put it on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went through 4 from Dennis Kirk is a matter of 3 weeks last year. The last one failed at night when I was out on the trail, I rode back with my flashlight taped to my helmet. If the lights get bright with the regulator disconnected, you know the lighting circuit is working. I would try a factory regulator from Polaris, they are a few dollars more though. I just don't trust the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the way to go....gotta get a new light bulb too. Maybe the Polaris ATV dealer down the street can hook me up so I can ride this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts