Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a newbie to the snowmobile circuit, I need some help with my sled. It seems to loose speed/power after going 30mph. when I slow down it seems to catch and then away I go. When on a hard surface, it doesn't seem to slip at all. In fact it will do 80mph with ease... Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Scott

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
Same problem I'm having now. I think my main jet's are plugged up. Ask smallengineguy, he will give you some advise.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
How do the plugs look? Black and oily, or brown and dry? Cleaning the carbs is the easiest, cheapest way to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced the plugs, now lots a power but sled does not want to hook up and go. Have to rev really high to get it to start moving. sometimes it will go right away, other times it won't.

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
Scott, let me know what your outcome was on your sled. How many miles do you have on it? I only have 1865 miles on mine, and hope I don't have a clutch problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, you might as well count me in with having the exact same problem!

My sled does the same thing! Around 30 mile an hour I am cruising, then I want more speed, so I lean into it and nothing...starts to bog, so I have to let off the throttle and let the rpm's go below 4000 rpm for about 5 seconds, then you can punch it and power resumes as normal til next time it happens.

Now the odd part is I can cruise at about 50 mile an hour...slow down to about 20 or 30 mile an hour, punch it and she wakens up like nothing. Seems to be that 30 mph cruising range.

Any ideas? I changed the plugs before I noticed this little problem. Was not apparent before I changed them. Thanks in advance!

P.S. 9000 kms on sled, fresh rebuilt top end. Clutches were both done 1000 kms ago. Plugs are Brown/Black coloured.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clutch problems

Gents,

After talking with some folks from Yamaha, I learned some things about clutches and snowmobiles that I did not know.
For example if I want to run my sled in Minnesota the clutch setting has to be set for this altitude.
If I want to take my sled over to Colorado and run in Estes Park, I have to set my clutch adjustment to something else.
Even so the carburetors need to also be set up for altitude adjustment. Some food for thought until I can really get this figured out. I am going to try a new belt first. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have a 94 v-max 600 that flies but it is a gas hog and it smokes alot and when i start of it squeeks and then it does some other noise and it jurks forward. now it doesnt have any spark i bipassed the tors and disconnected the ignition and the kill swtch and still nothing. it happened when i was just about to hit the kill swtch and it just died

any ideas???????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what to say, I am taking my sled in for a tune up. $100.00 should go a long way...

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
Scott said:
Not sure what to say, I am taking my sled in for a tune up. $100.00 should go a long way...
Scott, did you ever fiqure this out yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts