Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 94 vmax with a M-10 susp. Low miles. It seems like it is very tippy , since it sits up way higher than stock. Is there any remedies. Front tss shocks might need rebuilt? I thought of replacing skid with one from my 97 vmax, pro-action. Any thoughts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
zero experience with the m-10's, but from the angle in the picture it does look a bit jacked up at the rear. would almost think you would have excessive ski pressure.

you may consider playing with the suspension adjustments a bit before tossing it under the bus. as for the fitment on the 97 and up skids, they are narrower than the tunnel. not a big deal, you will just need spacers at the mount locations.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That isn't mounted correctly... The approach angle is INSANE, and I'd guess the ski pressure is way off also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a better pic, looked over the tuning from above post, every thing looks setup right. Had a chance to ride it about 50 miles. It rode great, in fresh snow, fish tailed a lot on hard packed road. Has very few studs down middle and half are worn to lug height. Is the fishtailing caused by ski pressure??or the studs?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
vmax's normally sit basically level, so with yours tipped so far forwards you are going to have all kinds of weird handling going on. Yep, either reduce the amount of pressure on the rear, or increase the amount on the front of the skid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
zero experience with the m-10's, but from the angle in the picture it does look a bit jacked up at the rear. would almost think you would have excessive ski pressure.

you may consider playing with the suspension adjustments a bit before tossing it under the bus. as for the fitment on the 97 and up skids, they are narrower than the tunnel. not a big deal, you will just need spacers at the mount locations.
What kinda spacers would one use and why are they more narrowed than the old skids ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the middle of a skid swap on my 94 v max and the new skid came out of a 97 v max xtc and it is more narrow but only at the front and the answer for this is spacers but I don't know what kinda spacers I would need, the yamaha diagrams make it look like the 97 tunnel has a taper towards the front witch would explain the difference between the years but I cannot confirm this so I'm wandering if anyone can confirm that and what kinda spacers one could use to make up the difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You also have to make up a new shaft then because the one that's in the newer skids is over an inch shorter no washers don't work I would need to use tubing because the frame of the skid is more narrow, I've tried the tubing method and when you don't have a vice or a horizontal ban saw a straight cut is impossible meaning your spacers are useless.

·
Registered
26,325 Posts
If you were close I would make them for you really no biggie!
5/8 alum shafts are easy to make! Even steel NP!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Would love to have that m10 on any old machine! I"m going to be doing an sc111 on my '94 vmax and wondering on a riser block / spacer on the front skis to gain some height up front. I've heard of guys doing this and wondering whos done it or how?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts