Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 94 vmax 500 and I’m wondering what oil to run in it this winter I’ve been hearing a lot about a full synthetic yamalube but I really don’t know.
ECFD23CE-50DA-4159-9DD4-A8785ACDC403.jpeg
is this the right stuff? Thanks

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Full Synthetic is nice because it smokes less and you use less.

And yes that is the right stuff. You want 2 stroke Full Synthetic. AMSOIL also works well that is what I run in every sled Polaris sled I own.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Im Your Yamaha with out power valves you can use the cheaper oil , you dont need synthetic

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Nope you don't but it is nice not to have as much smoke that is for sure. Plus I have noticed lately the cost difference isn't much, in some spots around here 2 bucks is the difference in a quart and 3 or 4 bucks for a gallon. At that price even when I had early '90s sleds I would have gone full synthetic over the smokey stuff I was using. Prices sure have come down at least around here on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope you don't but it is nice not to have as much smoke that is for sure. Plus I have noticed lately the cost difference isn't much, in some spots around here 2 bucks is the difference in a quart and 3 or 4 bucks for a gallon. At that price even when I had early '90s sleds I would have gone full synthetic over the smokey stuff I was using. Prices sure have come down at least around here on it.
Ok thanks, so the yamalube and the amsoil will work, are you talking about the amsoil interceptor? I’ve seen that around.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
AMSOIL Interceptor! I use it over everything else. Use whatever works best for you that you can afford. AMSOIL is probably one of the most popular 2-stroke oils out there.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Agreed, I just prefer the Full Synthetic even on the older stuff because the standard stuff smokes 3-4 more times not to mention the usage is more as well. Right now around here the difference between going regular 2-stroke oil say Polaris Blue vs VES or AMSOIL is about 5-8 bucks a gallon. To me that price difference isn't worth going to the Blue. The cheaper stuff around here is at Fleet/Farm and it is usually Mystic or some other brand sometimes one that you never see. I know some people have luck with Mystic but I personally can't stand the smell of it. Friend runs nothing but that stuff and I can't be near his sled when it is running.

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
If you ride fast enough, you don't have to smell it ;)

Polaris Blue is $37, Polaris Full Synthetic is about $52 bucks. Amsoil is about $49. Prices are per gallon. Super Tech regular dino oil is about $13 bucks/gal. If you can stand the smell, the Super Tech sure is a lot cheaper...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I pay 38 bucks for AMSOIL. Polaris blue I would pay 32 dollars and VES Gold I also pay around 37-40. Remember prices vary depending on region though.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yeah I never buy at the dealer unless I can help it. I get my AMSOIL from the auto shop across the street as he carries it for his sleds and for the shop. Or I go to Fleet/Farm and get it on sale as they run sales constantly from now till March on that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
I got a case from Farm &Fleet of there Syn oil and got it for like $10 a gal
My Yamis will like it!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ahhh how to tell one is in Illinois vs Minnesota or Wisconsin...Fleet-Farm vs Farm & Fleet,lol. I still call it Fleet-Farm in RL as after living down there for 25 years it is kinda a habit. People look at me funny around here when I say it, doesn't matter to them the stores carry exactly the same thing and the owners are brothers.

Yeah that is a steal for their Synthetic. What most people don't know is that there is only 3-5 places in American that add in all the additives that goes into it. Mobil Oil is done in Tennessee so is Valvoline..and dun dun dun..Fleet-Farm & Farm & Fleet. All done by the same company. I use the Fleet-Farm Full Synthetic in my Explorer so does my dad in his Ford Van and Explorer. Great stuff and you can find it on say now and then for 15 bucks a gallon. Can't beat that price for a nice Full Synthetic. I haven't tried their 2-stroke oil though. If I had a older cheap sled I would try it though for the heck of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts