Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first season w the sled and its darting hard on trails. I've noticed the right shock is moving less than in inch and i cant push it down manually. the other sides moves freely. No dent in shock tower and has 2600mi and seems to run great. any ideas on how to free this up and do u think this is my steering issue?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It sounds like the hinge from the ski to the steering hub is froze. This is very common. You can try and spray some PB Blaster in there to free it up. You can also remove the bolts and see if you can free it up. Check that the bushings are not worn out also. If you get the bolts out, clean up any rust and give the bolts a good coat of low temp grease.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Try a propane torch to heat it up then touch it with a candle and melt the wax into the joint and threads
Then take it apart and clean and lube it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i rode it 10mi the day i posted and left it outside for a change. Was around 0 all day Wed and -9 last night and cold all day today. Brought it in the garage tonight, hit the hinges w/ PB Blaster and turned on the heat for 6 hours. The shock is moving close to the other now but no rebound so it must be freeing up but wore out. I found a replacement strut on ebay and is coming but I'm wondering is the used 26+ yr. org. stuff the best I can do. Don't get me wrong I bought this sled cuz I've been in love w/ them and finally have one. and surprised how it really rips and very comfortable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so a couple beers later I'm looking w/ a good light at the hinge joints u guys told me to check and the bottom one at the ski joint the nylon washer is really squished and 3 threads showing before the cotter pin. I thought you guys were nuts that friction could freeze it up after riding and trying to break it loose. But I saw a difference from bringing it inside after riding and warming it and I was believing this friction thing. I PB Blasted it again and it took a 3' cheater bar and "CRACK" the nut came loose and I gave it one turn and strut is working great! Better than the other side and I did the same to that one and it cracked like the other and moving like they should I assume. It is actually a moving fluid suspension! Were getting a good snow now in Cent WI and I"ll update you on the steering tomorrow

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Last I heard Marquette county didn't have a lot of snow and I haven't heard the latest snow totals for the storm last night into this morning. So I am kinda curious what they got out there compared to here in Northeast Wisconsin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts