Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very clean but new to me with 6,000 miles Skidoo Formula STX 583. My boy has a similar sled and the thing absolutely hauls. Mine will come out of the hole ripping but then completely flattens out at about 50 mph like it has a governor on it. I also noticed a slight clunking noise in the front track area...sounds similar to an army tank track sound but faint.

I changed the belt and found the brakes had self adjusted to the point of being locked up. I backed the brake adjuster off and thought I had found the problem. No go - the sled still flattens out on the top end and has the noise. Can someone point this newbie in the right direction please? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody???

I brought this sled to a power sports repair shop. They replaced the drive bearnings, lubed everything, rebuilt the carbs and fuel pumps plus replaced all the fuel lines. This sled absolutely rips now. I can't hardly believe just how fast these 583 rotax twins are.

It was silky smooth the first couple hundred yards and now its making the same ticking/clanking noise when going slow. Dang it! Any ideas anybody???

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a crank bearing go out on the clutch side of mine, made the same noise. since there are 3 bearings there it will keep running like nothing is wrong other than the clunking at low rpms problem is eventually metal slivers can get into the needle bearings on your rods then it wont go so well any more or in my case it will lock up a rod bearing so tight that it wont turn over at all. then all you can do is hope for a good used crank cuz everything is pressed together and it will cost more to rebuild than it will to get a used crank or replace the motor all together.

i could be wrong just speaking from my own experience thats all

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still need some help with this track noise! Frustrating becuase I just dumped 500 dollars into this sled and it was supposed to be repaired. Noise is slowly getting worse. SOunds like an army tank track. What can I look for please?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
thought of something else this might sound really dumb but, put a different belt on it, you might have "grab" marks, cogs missing on your belt it'll make it sound like the track is jumping.
make sure your clutch is clean also, roller arms can make "clanking" noises if they are not moving freely

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured out the noise. The clip that holds the chain adjuster bolt in position was missing and the chain was loose. I also found a couple of bogey wheel bearings bad. I adjusted the chain, checked the gears and changed the fluid again...even though the shop had just done this. Much better! I will handle the bogey wheel bearing issue this summer.

This thing rocks the trails now!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts