Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding down the trail at between 40 and 50mph and for no apparent reason it started to bog down, the headlight got dim and the sled just stopped. When I did get it started again, it barely idled and all the lights were dim. I thought it might be a bad spark plug, so I changed them both. Same problem. Any ideas what might be the problem? I was thinking it might be the oil injector took a crap. Oh yeah, almost forgot, it pulls really hard now. I can barely roll it over.

I'm gonna stay away from it for the rest of the night. I think I might do something bad to it if I see it anymore tonight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sounds like she leaned out and siezed. and then when it cooled down it freed up again.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
^^^ x 2. something got hot. bad fuel, lean jetting or plugged carb. it may have sucked air from a bad crank seal or weathered carb boots. you might even have ran it out of oil.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Like I said, Compression test!, if it is under 100 PSI, pull the heads, take a look then pull the jug.

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I did a compression test, clutch side below 30psi, muffler side just over 100psi. So, before I pull the heads off, what are we talking about as far as the problem? Blown gasket, piston rings, etc.?

Thanks for the help, btw!

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, there's no hole in the piston. From what I can figure, the rod bearing which connects to the crank went bad. Not sure if something got into the cylinder before the bearing went bad or if part of the bearing got into the cylinder. Either way, the piston, jug, head, rod and crank are shot. Sad thing is, I just got the sled 12/18/2010 and only put 96 miles on it. I'm starting to think the $1,000.00 price tag was a little steep. Especially since I had to replace a bearing in the chain case already too.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
You are going to have to get a new motor. It will be cheaper than redoing the crank. The crank will have to be balanced at the factory, for around $1200

If you get a new motor, it could be $400.

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, screw that!! I have a donor motor that has decided to give up its parts for me!! If that doesn't work then I have a complete motor to use, I would just have to change the stator.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Well, I would just replace the stator, for you would need to split the case on the good one as well. if it works, run it.

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another quick question. Is the magneto rotor mated to the crank shaft? In other words, can I take a rotor from one engine and put it on another one?

·
Registered
142 Posts
wow you paid $1000 for that phazer! thats alot! must of had $900 dollars hidden under the seat lol

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well when I bought it, it looked like it was in perfect shape. Everything under the hood was oil free and the shiny parts were still shiny, like it was brand new. I even rode it before I bought it and it sounded and ran as well as it looked. Not sure what happened to it between buying it and getting it home. From the sounds of it, I'm not the only one having Phazer problems this season. But it's ok, we have the technology, we can rebuild it and make it stronger and faster. Just hope it doesn't take 6 million dollars to do it, LOL!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another quick question. Is the magneto rotor mated to the crank shaft? In other words, can I take a rotor from one engine and put it on another one?
I wanted to make sure before i replied, there was only one OEM rotor offered for that year of sled, so Yes you can just take the good one and use it on the other.

Good luck

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, Thanks knied1!

·
Registered
385 Posts
How many miles were on it when it stopped?

·
Licenced Idiot!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the odom says there's 7,253mi total on the sled (not sure if it's the original motor, I haven't checked the numbers yet). I only put 96mi on it before it quit. At 46mi, I had to replace a bearing in the chain case. It's been a real lemon since I got it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dang that sucks, because I have seen phazers in my area that are mid to late 80's go for $800. I was looking to get one before, so that's why I was wanting to know the miles. Sorry about your bad luck on this sled.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts