Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a 94 Polaris Indy 600 XLT. I soon realized that it had low compression, so I pulled the engine apart, honed the cylinders, and replaced the rings. It now has good compression, but I just can't seem to be able to get it too run long. After about 5 minutes of riding, it will stall if I let it idle down, and won't start again unless I clean the spark plugs and let the engine cool. The engine, and even exhaust will be just warm to the touch. This is the first two stroke engine I have ever worked on, and the first sled i have ever rode. Any help is greatly appreciated. :dunno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has around 110-120 in the outboard cylinders and about 100/110 in the center, for some reason. I'm just wondering, the engine obviously doesn't have any crankcase oil, and the piston doesn't go down far enough to pick up fuel/oil straight from the carbs. So, i take it the fuel must travel through the crankcase before being taken in to each cylinder? I also noticed that the choke mechanism is missing, just the cables are still intact, and two of them seem to be stuck in the "pulled" position. What position should they be on for non-choke? The cables move, but the mechanisms in the carbs are stuck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got the choke sorted, the plungers were all stuck in the choke position. I rode it for about twenty minutes and it seemed to be running fine. after I turned it off, I couldn't get it start again. After pulling the plugs, I saw that they were fouled and also coated in oil! Could the oil pump be giving too much oil?

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Seems like your plugs are bad from the too rich condition that was caused by choke being stuck on, you'll need new spark plugs, and there is no oil in them crankcases.Its the mix of air/gas/oil that lubricates everything in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like your plugs are bad from the too rich condition that was caused by choke being stuck on, you'll need new spark plugs, and there is no oil in them crankcases.Its the mix of air/gas/oil that lubricates everything in there.
Thanks for the help. I replaced the plugs today (again), and it still has the same problem, oil on them and being fouled after after 20 minutes. Tomorrow I plan on disabling the oil pump and running 50:1 instead, just to rule out the pump as a problem. I really don't trust the life of my engine on something that could easily fail anyways. I'll report back here then, any more suggestions are welcome. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts