Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1994 Polaris Indy 500 efi with 3400 miles which wasn't running.
Confirmed spark and 110/115 compression.
I can see the pickup line in the tank is gone.
Does anyone know the proper length as the original has pretty much dissolved as I can see crap in the tank; I'm guessing 15-18"?
Also, would anyone have a diagram of the tank mounting so that I can remove it; Would like to clean it and get the brass check valve out.
Thank You

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Well I doubt that the pick up will be the only issue.
Most of Polaris EFI have long failed and switched to carb

·
Registered
967 Posts
Click Polaris then click 1985-1995 Polaris Service Manual. As far as length idk as I haven't had to replace one on a Polaris sled in a long time but I'm sure someone else will know. That EFI system wasn't all that great as KC said many have converted them to Carbs. Either you got a system that had no bugs and ran great or you got one that was nothing but a nightmare like my '92 Indy 500 EFI backup sled. Once I get something fixed 2-4 weeks later something else fails. Also it MUST have a battery pushing out the proper voltage or it will not run at all. So a new battery is in your future. Also pick up a battery maintainer as well for when the sled and battery are not in use, go for a AGM if you can afford to as they will last much longer. If you want to go cheap then a few people have gone the route of lawnmower batteries for the older sleds like that. Also the computer when you have the key turned on will flash if there is a code in the system. Count the flashes, write them down and then look up the codes for it. It will be something like . . . then possibly a long solid . then .. and so on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the manual; That helps a lot.
I do have a new battery installed.
Figured I clean the tank and replace any fuel filters.
Overall the sled doesn't look abused so I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The fuel filter is a Fram G4777 or a Wix 33023. Buy one of those instead of a Polaris one they will charge you 60 bucks minimum for the same bloody thing that you can get at any auto parts store for 8-10 bucks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the couple of sleds I've redone, the in tank fuel line was usually long enough to go about halfway into the tank. Fitting at the front, tank goes back under the seat. I don't think it's critical, as long as you're close. Also, Tygon can be had in 50' lengths for about $80. You'll need about 8' or so to redo all the fuel lines.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2 of those machines that have worked with variable reliability. One of the things that has gone wrong with it has been the keyswitch. It gets water inside and eventually begins to work intermittently which makes the EFI not happy. You can test it by just pulling the wires off the switch and shorting them together. If the problem goes away........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. I pulled the tank today. Glad I did as there was a lot of crap inside. I installed a new Fram fuel filter. I did notice another fuel filter on the fuel pump side which I still need to replace once I figure out how the hell I’ll reach the clamp. I’ll keep all posted with my progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question...The fitting at the bottom of the tank runs to the fuel pump then from the fuel pump to the fuel rail closest to the belt.
Other side of the fuel tail connects to upper tank fitting. Within the tank, is there a hose connected to the upper fitting or just a hose to the bottom fitting with a weighted strainer? I have a diagram but it doesn't show the internal fuel lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts