Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 94 Ext 580 EFI that i just put new weights bushings, and yellow spring in clutch and it doesnt engage till 5000 rpm. Does that seem about right? Also with the track of the ground i noticed that with the speedo at 75 mph it was running about 8000 rpm....but if i WOT and hold it the engine will hit 9800!! Is there some kind of a rev limiter on these older sleds....cause 9800 seems high.

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
No there is no limiter! 5000 is a bit high! Book says to engage at 3500 and max at 8000-8200! The weights are 50.5g and a red spring! Now if you have done any upgrades to the motor you might go to 4000rpm?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't hold it at 9800, i held the throttle at WOT, when i saw the rpm's climb so high i let off. I just thought there was something to prevent the engine from reving so high.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I didn't hold it at 9800, i held the throttle at WOT, when i saw the rpm's climb so high i let off. I just thought there was something to prevent the engine from reving so high.
most CDI boxes do have an internal limit of how fast they will actually fire, you might have hit that limit. it isn't a rev limiter exactly, more or less it doesn't discharge completely by the time it fires again, and you end up with an almost constant spark and mess of mis-fires.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well i also have a 94 580 but its carbbed, and my clutch does the same thing engages at 5000, and the clutch u just put on is in amazing shape only had 700 miles and is all stock. And i myself thought 5000 was a bit high but i called around and was told thats stock engagement?????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts