Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having issues with 94 artic cat jag started fouling plugs. I tried adjust carb, cleaning carb, new gas and new plugs and no go.

As temp solution i disabled the oil injection since the plugs do look different. I put some fuel additive for water, 50:1 oil ratio and fresh premium in the snowmobile.

This sled owned by father in law.it can sit many years. Not sure if oil is fresh or not. However like i stated i have removed the oil injection for now.

it did have bad gas, but carb cleaned so that was removed.
I plan to try new plugs tomorrow to see how they start turning.

Liquid Water Asphalt Metal Electric blue

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Liquid Grey

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Household hardware

Wood Reptile Turtle Automotive tire Terrestrial animal

Water Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Asphalt

Liquid Serveware Road surface Circle Pattern

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't understand Why you pulled the heads?
Just looks like you are getting too much oil.\
Adjust the oil pump cable
I did not pull heads, I have a endoscope. According to the lines/specs if anything the oil is on the lean side . just not sure behind that. Still confused why 1 spark plug looks so dirty but other looks cleanish/barely used.

· Registered
4,678 Posts
How long have you ran it since it sat? Took about 10 hours of riding to finally work all the gunk out of a machine that sat for 10 years. And yes, it was cleaned inside and out and fresh gas and oil. With a full tank, go ride it until your arms fall off or it runs out of gas (well, at least almost). Bet it clears up on its own.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long have you ran it since it sat? Took about 10 hours of riding to finally work all the gunk out of a machine that sat for 10 years. And yes, it was cleaned inside and out and fresh gas and oil. With a full tank, go ride it until your arms fall off or it runs out of gas (well, at least almost). Bet it clears up on its own.
I assume the kid ran a few tank fulls at most? could be wrong.I did take it apart again and do not see any junk in carb.

with mix fuel of 50:1 and disable the oil injection there is far less smoke, and plugs looks a little better IMO.

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
Not enough fuel would lead to a lean condition and your plugs would be white. Lean is hot, and can be hot enough to burn holes in the top of the pistons. White plugs should give you a VERY nervous feeling when you pull them!!

· Registered
3,975 Posts
Put a new set of plugs in with the proper gap if you use cheap ngk copper plugs, then do a wide open run where you can get it up to top speed then hit the shut off button and let it coast then pull the plugs to see what they look like. One of the ways to find this stuff out.

· Registered
3,975 Posts
Your service manual should have that or on the airbox itself in some cases. The arctic cats my friends had all used different plugs from NGK BR8 or 9ES to BR9EYA's so the engines and gapping were different. But how much to gap should be in that manual or on the airbox at least Polaris does it that way.

I get mine up to full speed on the lake then keep it there for about 5-10 seconds then I hit the shut off button and let it coast then I wait a min or two before pulling each plug.

· Registered
27,907 Posts
.30 on gap
Make sure you have a mile run ahead of you
Don't be afraid to hammer it all the way back too

If you get it running ok it's tie to do an oil consumption test!
Fill oil and fuel and ride
Then refill with an exact amount as well as the oil (measure it)
Do the math 12.5 gallons of fuel to 1 qt of oil is 50-1
Adjust the oil cable to get it close

· Registered
1,465 Posts
That one plug looks pretty clean. Is it getting spark? I had a 1996 Jag 440 that ran on one cylinder when cold. Then it started randomly shutting off. Turned out to be a bad ignition coil. Replaced it and good to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts