Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 thundercat, doing a engine swap ,want to put all of it in a 2000 t-cat 800 chassis thats really nice, motor trashed,my question is i defenitly want to use the 93 ignition system,will it plug into the wire loom for the 2000?and the 93 is a hotter system. open or closed loop make a diff?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a 93 thundercat, doing a engine swap ,want to put all of it in a 2000 t-cat 800 chassis thats really nice, motor trashed,my question is i defenitly want to use the 93 ignition system,will it plug into the wire loom for the 2000?and the 93 is a hotter system. open or closed loop make a diff?
up to 1997 most Cat sleds were closed loop systems. In 1998 most of them went to the open loop system. The Cat stators you are concerened with (ZRT800,900,1000) were the same from 1993 ro 1999. In 2000 they went with a different stator design. Your motor ect..will go into that chassis no problem. As far as the electrical hook up, you have to use the entire 1993 ignition including: Stator mounting plate, stator, flywheel, and cdi box. The secondary coils (that run to the plugs) are the same on all triples..600,800,900 & 1000's. The plugs are all the same...the stator will plug right into the 2000 wiring harness no problem. Here is the only "catch"; if you use the closed loop 1993 ignition in the 2000 chassis your key will work backwards. It doesn't hurt anything ect...it is just that you key works backwards. I run a complete 1993 ignition with one of my rewound stators in it in my 2000 ZRT800 chassis. No problems/no issues. Another mod you may want to consider is to wire your key switch directly to your stator's 2 non yellow wires and then just plug the other 2 plug wires from your stator to the 2 wires that you would have normally use for the "power" side on your wiring harness. I did this after I had an issue with an internal short somewhere in my wiring harness. I just bypassed the whole wiring harness wiring the key switch directly to the stator and everything is perfect. You also may want to at least know how to do this mod if you encounter this issue out on the trails so you could just use the jumper wire on the stator to get it to run (if you have an issue with your switches) and then just turn the plug around and plug the other 1/2 of the stator connector into the wiring harness so you still have lights. This can come in very handy when you're out in the middle of nowhere on the trail and it is dark out. The jumper wire just acts like your key switch completing the closed loop so nothing can be hurt/go wrong with the electrical. I had a guy earlier this year that I told him how to directly wire his key to his stator who I rewound a stator for and he got 5 miles down the trail and his sled starting running bad. He used the jumper wire to get it back to the trailer, spent 10-15 minutes wiring his key switch straight to his stator and plugged his stator connection to the "power' side of the wiring harness and rode the rest of the weekend without any issues. He was really happy that we had talked before he went up and he understood how to bypass the wiring harness...it saved him a whole weekend of riding. IMO, about the best thing you can do is run the complete 93 ignition and bypass all of your switches and wiring harness. I explain everything I wrote in this video:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts