Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering people’s opinions on the fomula plus 580 sleds. I found one for sale near me in really good looking condition for 300. Seller says it runs but “inconsistently”. Whatever that might mean. I’m fairly good with motors so it doesn’t scare me that much. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they a good sled? I’ve ridden sleds before never owned one, so this would be my first sled. Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Depends a lot on condition of course, but a dependable sled in my experience. Fun on groomed trails but rough on the back if it gets bumpy at all. Heavy, so don't get it stuck. 300 seems plenty cheap.

Think Snow!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking with the guy more. He’s saying that it bogs down when running. I’m guessing carbs need cleaned but he said he’s replaced some parts...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said he’s done a carb kit, stator, cdi box, compression at 125 on both. I’m wondering at this point if maybe crank seals. But for how clean it is on the inside I’d think it would have to be a lot messier. Maybe not.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I generally lose faith in someone's repair knowledge when they start listing off replaced parts like that. There is a right and wrong way to do things. Troubleshoot to narrow down the problem area (Spark, compression, fuel). You're just gonna have to start from the beginning.
1) Compression
If those are accurate numbers, you're ok there.
2) Spark
Does it have good blue spark?
Are your caps corroded?
3)Fuel
No "carb kit" needed for those mikuni carbs
Clean thoroughly (wire through small openings, blow out with compressed air)
Make sure you remove the pilot jets and get them squeaky clean.
Test needle and seat, replace as necessary
Set floats correctly
Make sure you have stock jets and be aware the carbs are different for each cylinder.
Check fuel pump and rebuild if necessary
Check gas line and pick up filter inside the gas tank.

If after that, you still have a problem, you look at clutches.

Think Snow!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well I can tell you that while you say "no carb kit" needed...well I would disagree there. Many carb kits come with the needle/seats and new gaskets and o-rings for the same prices as just a needle/seat. Hence why I buy them for my sleds because then I know the gaskets and o-rings are good when I put them in when I clean the carbs. While I do not always replace the needle/seats I keep them in the parts bin as spares and I keep 2 in the small tool kit box for when out on the trails now after a bad experience. 15 bucks for all of that or 13-15 bucks for just a needle/seat and fyi they are the same with viton tips on them. Have 4 sets at my parental units house for the 2 sleds with carbs.

Now if he bought the full rebuild kits for 60 bucks yeah that is overkill and way overpriced. The one good thing about it is they are tailor made to each sled with new main jets, needles and everything else. But it is still overkill when you can buy those cheap online these days.

Also buy a new fuel pump 15 bucks for a rebuild kit or 17-28 for NIB.

Other then that check everything else that is in the post above mine that Wildthangci posted.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I guess when I think of carb kits for the mikuni, I think of those aftermarket kits. Not worth buying in my opinion. The genuine mikuni kits would be a different story. And as far as the fuel pump, I've gotten kits for as cheap as 6 bucks, but to each his own.

Think Snow!

·
Registered
970 Posts
The Mikuni kits are 13-15 bucks on eBay these days. Also the SPI kits are just as good, I have used those without a problem but prefer the Mikuni kits over everything. But those cheapo ones for 7 bucks yeah stay away from those most definitely agree on that.

I use this kit on the '98 Indy 440 L/C I have, I buy 2 at a time.

Or this one for the '98 Indy 440 L/C if he doesn't have any in stock.

And then for the '97 Indy 500 since it has 38mm carbs on it I buy 2 of these kits at a time.

Amazon can't even beat those prices. And for some reason he is saying it will be the end of the month on kits if you order them which is odd for for that seller.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Damn, those are good prices on genuine mikuni parts. As far as the fuel pumps, for myself, I generally rebuild because I'm cheap and it doesn't take me long to do them. For customers, I normally go new cause it's cheaper than them paying for my labor. Never tried the spi carb kits, have had issues with the moose carb kits (leaky needle and seat new).

Think Snow!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts