Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just joined the forum, figured there would be quite a few guys i could ask for advice. i have a 93 polaris xlt with a 136x2inch track, bought the sled off of some old sled builder guy couple years ago, runs great. i couldnt tell you all the internal engine mods but i know it has reeds and pistons, the jetting kit came with 220s up to 250s, i have had the 220s in it since day one. my concern it the intake, it has three individual pods goin to three individual cylinders,and three decker pipes. when i get out riding my sled runs like a wild beast until it warms up then it seems to bog down under load(carving in deep powder or trying to climb a hill). so far i have found that when it does this if i lift the hood up and let the heat out from under the hood for a min or so it will fix the problem. the pods usually get some ice on them from the moisture. do you think im not getting cold enough air? i have an air box that i could install but im not sure if thats a good thing or not, and if i do will my jetting need to be changed?
advice or reasurance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
17,919 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Didn't see your post earlier, sometimes life interferes with snowmobiles. I know, I know, I really need to get my priorities straight ;)

I would install the airbox. The airbox actually resonates at a frequency that helps "supercharge" the intake air a bit. Airboxes also take in cold air to get rid of some of the problem you were having with pods. Cold air makes more power than warm air.

Was the triple pipe factory? If so, factory airbox, factory pipes, factory jetting to start, then you can test and see if you need to go leaner or richer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have a 94 XLT mostly stock and have noticed that the colder it is outside, the better it runs after warming up. These engines don't seem to like breathing warm air. I agree that the airbox would probably help that situation.

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Mine was jetted a little fat from the factory and ran best when it was cold out .. I would run it that way until the end of Feb. and then lean it out a bit if we still had good snow in march. I have never had any luck with performance gains on a Polaris by using anything but the factory box personally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts