Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting one of these next weekend , are these goods sleds, this one has all new wear stuff, 4thousand miles, and alot of excessories, only ran on amsoil, no cracks in hood no tears in seat. for 1,400$ is this a good deal im buying from a friend so i know how its treated so are there any ups and downs on this sled?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 1992 500efi, The only two things I would say is change the fuel filter. And make sure you buy a new battery every year, because dead battery means no riding you can't run it without it. I went to walmart and bought a battery tender for 25 bucks and mounted it to the inside of the belly pan and when I'm done riding I plug it in and never have to worry about it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
True, since it is a battery powered efi, you could go dead if you are away from home or a truck and be stuck. I am uneasy bout any efi with the need for a battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Battery!

I run a 92 500 EFI SKS with a battery of course. The issue of changing the battery every year is a question of how well you maintain it...just like any other part on the sled. I still have the same battery that came with the sled used 4 years ago. If a person maintains it and checks the condition annually, why spend money for nothing.

I do the following each year.

1) remove it in the off season, top up fluid with demineralized water only (if required), and fully charge. Store indoors.
2) as lead acid cells loose charge if not used/charged for a number of months, I will charge it once in the summer.
3) when it is time to reinstall in the sled I check fluid level again, charge up and test the acid PH with a battery tester (cheap). I then know the general condition of the battery.
4) when the battery is over 3 years old I take it to a battery shop to have them test under load.

Sounds like a bit of effort yes. But even new batteries can fail.
Would a person change his car battery every year just because?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts