Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i'm going to be a good son in law this week while the in laws are down state lol. see all my in laws are ones that think if your sled runs then why clean the carbs. But yet wonder why my sleds are the only ones to idle by there selfs and not pop and backfire. anyways i went over and took my father in laws 93 EXT 550 carb sled and going to do some wrenching on it while they are gone. already tighten a very loose track, replaced a blown out shock that he has had a new on in his garage for 2 years. and starting to clean the carbs. i have one carb off and cleaned already and OMG!!!!!!! not sure how it was running. and all the gas lines need to be replaced also. they are like glass lines they are so old and hard. does anyone know what the air screw on these should be set at? it was at 2 1/2 out and that seems like a lot compared to my polaris specs. i have it set at 1 out at this point. is that right on this sled?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
?

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
One turn out works well on my 550 prowler.

Be careful making huge changes in performance. I did that for a buddy once, his sled was running really poorly, but that was what he was used to. Cleaned carbs and clutches, got it running really well. He took it out, hit the flipper like always, and tossed himself right off the back of the sled. I'm still laughing :D You might warn the father-in-law, just in case ;)

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
I would try 1 turn out for now. I can look in our AC book for you tomorrow and find out what they say to start at.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol dan now thats funny. if that happens i wana be there to see it. but i'll be the first to ride it after i get it done. i rode it before and it was boggy and rode like crap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts