Snowmobile Forum banner

'93 Cougar help

996 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  smallengineguy 
#1 ·
My '93 Arctic Cat 440 liquid has been stored for three years. I cleaned the carbs, changed gas, lubed the chassis, checked belts and hoses.

We fired it up, it idled a little high, but smooth and steady. After proper warmup time, I took it for a run. The throttle response seemed OK for a while. After giving it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and letting off, it backfires at times. Power was OK for the first few minutes, but at full throttle, I could start to feel irregular power (bog down).

It gradually wanted to bog all the way down and I had to feather it home. It felt like it was running on both cylinders the entire time. I wondered if it was overheating problems, but it was -5 degrees F, and the cooling system was circulating.

My question is, Does anyone have any recommendations for troubleshooting this sled? Thanks!

#3 ·
I think you sucked up some more junk from the tank. If it started out OK then got worse, the jets in the carbs probably started to plug again. Check the plugs. Are they black/oily or tannish brown?Plugs can tell you a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.