Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wandering wich side goes the arrow on top of piston(kimpex or wiseco i cant remember) and does the curvy side of the rings goes upwarps?

·
Registered
121 Posts
In a nutshell.......99.9% of the time the arrow points to the exhaust. Rings should be marked, if not the side with a bevel will face up, and install the ring gaps across from each other.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Holy crap, I type slow, or I was abducted by aliens. No replies when I started my reply, and when I posted it, I seen hawksters reply.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Arrow goes to the magneto

keystone rings go bevel side up , flat side down they will bind in the pistons if installed incorrectly

There is dowel pin in each ring groove which locates the ring end gaps. this is to prevent them from rotating and catching in the ports ....... The ring gaps definitely do not go directly across from each other on this engine

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
yup. point them to the recoil. early polaris models were like this.

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all right, thanks for the pistons. But about the rings: one side is flat and the other side has a small curve with a lip on the edge, wich way that lip goes? up or down?

·
Registered
121 Posts
all right, thanks for the pistons. But about the rings: one side is flat and the other side has a small curve with a lip on the edge, wich way that lip goes? up or down?
Usually a mark will indicate up. If not, top ring bevel up, bottom ring bevel down..

·
Registered
121 Posts
The ring gaps definitely do not go directly across from each other on this engine
I guess if there is dowels, it definitely wouldn't be too hard to figure out, but normally, the ring gaps go above the wrist pin clips, on opposite sides. I also would bet, that is where these dowels are.

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the piston got small pins for ring gap, i was just confused with the way to install the rings...they are kimpex rings.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I guess if there is dowels, it definitely wouldn't be too hard to figure out, but normally, the ring gaps go above the wrist pin clips, on opposite sides. I also would bet, that is where these dowels are.

The ring locating dowels are to either side of the intake port. If you viewed the piston looking straight down on the crown as if you were sitting on the sled. The exhaust side being at the 12 oclock position the two dowels would be indexed to the 4 oclock and the 8 oclock position. This is how the ring gaps are situated on most two stroke engines which use two rings per piston.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The ring locating dowels are to either side of the intake port. If you viewed the piston looking straight down on the crown as if you were sitting on the sled. The exhaust side being at the 12 oclock position the two dowels would be indexed to the 4 oclock and the 8 oclock position. This is how the ring gaps are situated on most two stroke engines which use two rings per piston.
That is very close to what I was getting at, and is where I would put them if it didn't have dowels. I was actually thinking 3 and 9 oclock though.

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they had dowels, top ring at 4 oclock,and bottom at 6. it was the way to put the "lip side" on the rings that was confusing me...it goes upwards by what I've seen so far(this side's got a tiny "K" at the end).

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my compression was 85 psi clutch side, and 112 on the other. now with new pistons and rings,(same cylinders) 105 clutch side and 110-115 on other.(That's with cylinder walls full of engine oil too).

It's harder to pull cord now and feels better, I also changed my clutch and the crank seal on that side too.

now a simple question: can i take my stock muffler and open it up and take baffle out?? any of yas did that yet?

·
Registered
121 Posts
my compression was 85 psi clutch side, and 112 on the other. now with new pistons and rings,(same cylinders) 105 clutch side and 110-115 on other.(That's with cylinder walls full of engine oil too).

It's harder to pull cord now and feels better, I also changed my clutch and the crank seal on that side too.

now a simple question: can i take my stock muffler and open it up and take baffle out?? any of yas did that yet?
Compression definitely better, but it sounds like the cylinders(PTO side in particular), are a little scarred up also.

You can gut the can, make it a lot noisier, but no performance gain. Probably do more harm than good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts