Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd just like to know if the spider itself is threaded on the shaft or not and how you get it off, i got the jam nut off.

another thing is that i've tried to pull the whole thing off with a homemade puller and nothing would move, do i need the end of the puller to go against the crankshaft or i need the smaller end of like a real puller to go inside the threaded part of the crank also??

·
Super Moderator
16,786 Posts
To remove the clutch from the engine, a puller that is threaded into the clutch and pushes on the end of the crankshaft is needed.

To remove the spider, you will need a special spider tool, it is threaded on and torqued to around 200 ft.lbs. It may also have Loctite on it. A good holding fixture, stout bench, and a good breaker bar (3/4" drive or better) are usually necessary.

·
Maritimes Guy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, i got no spider tool so i'll have to come up with something else...i wander if an air chisel(punch end on it) could break it loose?

·
Registered
608 Posts
without the tools Dan mentioned you are just going to break it

You can order the tools you need quite inexpensively from Royal Distributing or others. The holding tool and the spider tool for say 45.00 and the jam nut socket for like another 15.00 . Maybe 20.00 for a puller.
Even if you get it apart you will also not be able to torque them correctly without the tools
when you reassemble .

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
If you don't have a clutch puller but have a bolt that is threaded right for the clutch, you can use a hydralic technique. You would need to fill the shaft with water and use thread tape on the bolt and advance the bolt. The water pressure pops off the clutch very easily. I've done it 3 times in one day not long ago. Just one way you could save a little money..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts