Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Am Looking At My Buddyin Step-Dad Yamaha Vmax 600 For $300 He Sunked It A Few Years Ago And Left Some Of The Water In The Motor. And Last Summer Me And My Buddy Pulled It Over All Year To Make Sure It Would Not Lock Up. We Had It Start Over The Summer But It Sounds Liek Crap. So The Winter Came Around I Went Over There To Buy It And The Motor Was Lock Froszen We Could Not Get It To Pull Over Should I Still Buy it And Rebuild The Motor And The Hood Smath Alittle Bit And The Seat Has Some Rips but Still A Good Lookin Sled

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
that is more than a motor rebuild, that is a complete do over. EVERY single part other than the case is going to have to be replaced because its probably corroded/rusty.

·
Registered
25,423 Posts
Don't bother! The crank bearings are gone! And that sled wouldn't be worth doing the crank for $1000!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had it running last summber and had the motor pined out after we put collent in it

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We had it running last summber and had the motor pined out after we put collent in it
lost me on the that second part...

Even an engine with a completely rusted up/pitted crank and destroyed bearings will run for a short time. Just because it was running doesn't mean it was healthy.

At the very minimum, if you want to run this engine for more than an hour without it blowing up, you will have to replace ALL bearings, including the crank bearings. If there is any of pitting in the crank (which I can guarantee there is), you will also need to replace the crank.

With a submerged engine, you have a very short window after pulling it out of the water to get it running again. It HAS to be brought back to life as soon as possible to get it up to temperature and dry the water out. If that isn't done, rust will set in on the bearings/crank fairly quickly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
me and the step dad pulled the motor apart to work on it and the crank wasnt pitted or rustly the carbs were dirty that was all and the bearings were all good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts