Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the jag running over the weekend on bad gas, after we put the new clutch in it. It finally wouldn't run anymore cuz it just stalled and wouldn't start again. Next day my dad went and got gas, put it in it, then it wouldn't fire at all. The plugs had NO spark, even with BRAND NEW ones. Anyone have any idea as to what causes these sleds to just stop giving spark?

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
guys,

before buying new parts such as CDI box or coils try and find one to test first..and if all that fails check your wiring..remember that it starts at the source..a stator maybe? or just plain wiring..even the ignition key could be faulty.. so by passe it or test it with a volt meter for continuity.. also check your wires..like check the continuity from the CDI box to the ignition ad to the coils.. if you have coltage ect ect ect...there are not many parts in there..it can't be as bad as a mortorcycle :) i had to redo my whole wiring on my suzooki gsx-r.

remember, if the CDI box has no signal telling it to give spark or no voltage to power itself it surely wont give you spark..a short circuit can be enough to do that ..a wire thats grounded to the frame that is.

fr0st

·
Registered
96 Posts
pull apart the main wire harness the one that comes out of the stator area 2 yellow wires and 1 black and one brown. jump the black and brown together and you should have spark. you can run it like this but you will have no lights no kill switch etc. if you do have spark then that is a place to start track down where the problem is . I to am looking for the problem on my sled

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frost is right---dont start buying expensive coils and cdis until you troubleshoot first

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive been fussing with it fever since, Now I'm startin to get REAL MAD! GRRR!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I jumped the brown and black wires coming out of the recoil side of the engine, and got it running, but then of course I have no electrical at all.. Where do I go from there? TIA

Buckshot

·
Registered
55 Posts
no sparks

OK so your motor runs with the electrical unplugged !That a good thing it means your coils and stator are good !No expensive parts to buy lol.First thing I would do is plug it back in and go to your steering cover and undoo it to access the kill switch wires.I beleive that in 92 they had a closed circuit.So unplug your kill switch wire and use the bypass wire and plug it in to continue the circuit.If you dont have the plug that comes with the sled you can use any other wire to test this.Once its plugged try and see if there is any spark.Cat was famous for shorts in there kill switch.Hopefully thats your problem If that solves it go to the dealer and get the proper bypass plug in.(if you dont have it )Or change the kill switch.What happens with these is the throttle cable freys and touches the sides of the switch and shorts out.Or even check you cable and if it is freyed change it.If thats not the problem then I would start at the plug in near the motor and check to make sure that when it is plugged in that all the proper connections occur.Sometimes one of the wires can be loose in the plug and dont make proper contact when pushed together.And keep working your way up the wiring harness and check for damaged wires Hope this helps

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was having the same problem it was my key switch, but i also bought the kill switch jumper and now it purrrrs like a cat good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep, Mine was too North, keep that in mind for the other poor soles that are having the same problem, I went through hell trying to fix it... You spent alot more than me though.. I found out it was my ignition because YOU told me to jump the brown and black wires at the block, then when I took all the s**t on the handle bars and everything apart I realized the ignition was brown and black, just put a jumper between the two, on the ignition side and bypassed key switch. Now I have to fix the carb and we will be ready to go..

·
Registered
100 Posts
be glad yours was simple my stator tested good no spark cdi ,still no spark coil tested good replaced any way stillno spark, pulled stator noticed ground wire slightly burned replaced, still no spark tried your trick jumping wires got spark warmed it up went for a ride it stopped dead no spark checked everything again evrything checks out good leave when frustrated! next morning go check get spark plug back harness still get spark start goaround house stalls out just past garage no spark cools down spark! stupid stator still says good but i now know the dam things faulty just a wiring harness away now what else! really hate that "ol bearcat" thank god its not mine or i would have given it a viking funeral!!!!!!!:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts