Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Polaris 500 EFI that I recently rebuilt due to a melted piston on one of the cylinders. When I took it apart I was expecting to find a smoking gun as the sled only has 1400 miles on it, and has always been very reliable. The only thing I thought may have caused this was that I found the fuel pick up hose inside the tank rotted and laying on the bottom of the tank. I removed it and replaced the pick up. I also had both injectors tested by maren fuel injection and they were both fine. I replaced the piston and reassembled everything. I even went as far as installing exhaust gas temp sensors on both cylinders. Within the 1st 20 miles of using the sled, the same thing happened again!! Does anyone know what may be causing this thing to run lean on one cylinder? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have you looked at the intake boots? Sounds like a cracked boot causing it to run lean. Make sure they are crack free and tight. You can also check the crank seals. You have to do this running by spraying carb cleaner by the crank seals and around the boots if there is a leak you will have a change in the rpms

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont recall seeing any cracks or intake leaks. I guess ill have to get the thing running again and spray some carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.