Snowmobile Forum banner

92 Arctic cat jag 440 choke problem

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TheBearAk 
#1 ·
Im stumped. I have a 92 jag 440 that ran fine last year when put up. Started right up and drove off trailer this fall for maintenance. Took carb off and cleaned. Put back together and it will only run if i disconnect choke cable completely. That maybe I missed some dirt somewhere so did it again. Same thing. Whith choke cable unscrewed from carb completely shes purrs like a kitten. As soon as i drop plunger in hole and start to screw in it will die. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I would go back and clean the carb again, paying particular attention to the pilot jet and the idle circuit. With the plunger up, you are getting fuel through the enrichment circuit so the sled runs. When you close the enichment circuit (choke) it dies because of no fuel through the idle circuit. Just my guess, mind you :)

#3 ·
If the plunger is completely removed (leaving the hole empty), it is also sucking extra air through that. When it starts to die, if you give it throttle, will it keep running?

#5 ·
Yep pilot is still plugged
I have about a 3" piece of 10 gauge stranded house wire, with half stripped
I peal down a single strand and it flosses the pilot jet well.
When trying to remove the pilot (up the tube) I have a special ground screw driver
A std 1/4" but the sides are ground to fit, dont use the smaller screw driver it will strip the jet

#7 ·
The (choke) is actually an enricher circuit, as mentioned earlier, so it allows more fuel for cold starts. If the engine won't run without that extra fuel, then it has to be the pilot circuit. If the circuit is clean (not just the jet, the whole circuit) then double check your float level and make dang sure the float itself actually floats in gas.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I had a Polaris that refused to idle. I cleaned the carbs several times and synched the throttles. Didn't work. I finally gave up and bought new pilot jets. It runs better than ever now. The old jets looked fine but after replacing them, it runs fine. The jets were very inexpensive.

#11 ·
Always check new jets for debris as well. I usually spray them down with carb cleaner and look under a magnifying glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.