Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this sled with no spark, replaced the ignition coil and now it has spark, but when i try to start it, it ether backfires and tries to rip my arm off or it doesn't fire at all. I've got it to run for a couple seconds two or three times but it doesn't respond to throttle and dies. im thinking it has something to do with timing but im not sure, any suggestions?

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
Find the 4 square connector coming from stator
Unplug it and test for spark!
If not the jump the brown and black wires on the engine side of the 4 square
Test for spark

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It can take 3-4 times to clean carburetors properly, we've all been there with carburetors before. Just because you did them once doesn't mean they are clean. All it takes is one piece of garbage to screw them up. Also unless you took them off the engine completely to clean them then they weren't properly cleaned either. Also sometimes compression gauges these days are off. Most are chinese and nowhere near as accurate as the old ones were that were made in the US. Hence his comments about both. I would still re-clean the carburetors and see if anyone else you know has another compression tester. Should be at least 110lbs and both should be within a couple lbs of each other. I would also consider replacing the fuel filter sometimes they can be blocked, check the fuel line in the gas tank to make sure it is there and if not then replace with tygon only as it is the only stuff that can withstand being immersed in gasoline the standard blue/black fuel line can not and the weighted fuel filter on the end is most likely still in the tank. Pull a line off the fuel pump to make sure fuel is coming through it as well as it should. Start with the basic stuff like this kind of stuff and go from there. Also replace the spark plugs for the heck of it and if need be cut 1/4" off the end of the spark plug wire, replace with new NGK resistor spark plug caps as well any auto parts store has them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts