Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1992 EXT 550 Arctic Cat and it seems to have some problems. I picked it up about 4 weeks ago and the owner stated that it had a few problems but nothing big. It bogs like crazy to the point where it won't even move out of the garage. Track spins when lifted, so it is not a belt problem. Took apart the carburetors and the cable that controls the choke input was stuck on full in one. I just took out the cable because there is another in the other carb. Was able to ride it for an hour afterwards and it ran perfectly, but it started bogging really bad again like it was before. Took a look at the carbs again and it looks like one of the boots is starting to go out. Woulden't that just make it a bit lean instead of bogging it down and losing power? I have no clue on what to do, and I'm not really wanting to bring it to the mechanic because the service would cost more than I payed for the sled. Do any of you have ideas on what to do next? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
26,724 Posts
Welcome
Spray starting fluid around boots while idling, if RPMS go up replace them.
Pull the carbs and open them up, remove all the jets, main, pilot (up the tube)
as well as the choke and air mix screw. Spray threw all the ports and floss the pilot jets
I would then replace all the fuel lines including the pick up in the tank!
Remember it is almost 30 years old!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried spraying starting fluid on the boots while running and the RPMS stayed the same at 2500. I already replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the carbs, still nothing. I can see fuel moving into the engine from the pump, so I know that that is still good. Any other ideas? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is good too. You think I should get a carb rebuild kit for it? It definently seems like it is getting too much fuel and wouldn't that result to the carburetors?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
As he said reclean the carburetors again. All it takes is one small piece and you are back to square one especially if it had old gas in it when you bought it.

·
Administrator
18,930 Posts
I would also look at the throttle. There are some plastic parts on the lever pin that can wear out and mess with the throttle safety switches. Sometimes just replacing the washers and seals can get you going again. You can also have issues in the throttle safety circuit with adjustment of the magnetic switch. You can bypass the system for testing, but if that's the case, I'd try to get it working, as that circuit keeps the sled from running away when a carb slide hangs up or ices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late response. I just tried cleaning the carbs again and still nothing. I will take a look at the throttle and see if I can fix that. I'm guessing it is already bypassed from the previous owner, but I will still look just in case. I'm thinking about siphoning the gas tank out, pulling it and cleaning it so I can make sure I have fresh, clean gas. I have no clue on what to do next if all that doesn't work. Thank you guys for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts