Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MarcusSport440
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1991 sport 440 and i recently changed the voltage regulator because i noticed my head light kept blowing, friends dad said thats what it was. worked good till i completely busted up a head light then put 2 more in it and blows it instantly. it also blew one tail light, is it possible my voltage regulator is bad again? thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't help sorry but just wondering if you can?

I've been looking around I even called a Polaris dealership but I cannot figure out the torque for the head bolts and I was wondering if you new what it was?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check all your wires it could be a short in a wire/ground or it could be the stator but by the sounds of it, it isnt the stator. I had this problem and it was my voltage regulator I bought a brand new universal one on Ebay and its worked fine ever since

·
Registered
3 Posts
I might be able to help Actually

If you have access to a DVOM or a voltage meter if you can read the voltage coming out of the regulator and the voltage going into the regulator because you might need a different strength regulator or if it's possible get a bulb rated for a higher voltage I'm not entirely sure but that is what I would do.

·
MarcusSport440
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya. me and a friend are about to put it in a garage and get a mutli-meter. but there's only one line except for the ground....how am i supposed to test voltage going in the voltage going out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hook the tester up to two points on the wire before the regulator and it should tell you what the voltage is. And if yours can test OHMs(resistance) take the multimeter and connect I so the regulator is in between the 2 connections.

·
Registered
321 Posts
thompsonguy.......17-18 ft-lb

marcus- regulators take extra voltage to ground. to test reg. set meter to 25V AC. black lead to ground, red lead to yellow. do not disconnect. strip a small spot on wire or probe into a connection. start sled. reading should be 11-14V at idle to 3000rpm. if its higher replace Reg. if its lower disconnect yellow wire. start sled but DON'T increase RPM, if lights light, reg is bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts