Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the 91 Phazer fired up. Next is the track. It is worn down to about 1/2". I don't want to drop $500 on a new track for this sled, I've searched and can't find a source for use tracks. Any ideas?
Also, how difficult is the install on this sled? I can turn a wrench fairly well and am not afraid to tear into anything, but am wondering if this is a wait until the summer project or a Saturday afternoon. This is a back up / have fun sled only.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its not to bad at all really to change the track. I did it in a day its just a few steps and you can get it out. You should be able to find a 121'' x 15'' track used for around 200 for a decent track. Sometimes even less. You can check ebay for the tracks and look at ones in your price range.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do you feel as though its bad enough that it could come apart at anytime? If its something that can wait until off season. This time of year you never know when the snow will be here and when its going to leave us. I'd ride if its not going to cause problems. Changing the track is not hard, but if you start into it now and find other things that need replaced, such as seal, boggy, slids, bolt, nut, it could cut into some serious sledding time.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
x2. add to that waiting for parts (seals, bearings, etc.) to come in and you might be out for a week or more if you've never done it before. I usually will order parts beforehand that I know i'm going to replace so when I start i have everything I need.

so i agree, if it looks like the track is going to fall apart on you, then do it now for sure. but if you think that you can get by for the rest of the year on the track, i would suggest waiting till spring to fix it. of course, then you run into the problem of losing motivation or just keep putting it off till it's winter again lol. it's your call.. but i would suggest pre-ordering parts to help cut down on wait time.

and try looking on your local craigslist for a track. i've found most of mine on there for pretty cheap..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I think it will last the year for sure. It's worn down alot but not cracked or torn. I don't have a manual, but the research I've done shows a 116 x 15 inch track with a 2.52 pitch, does this line up with what others have?

Thanks again and ride, ride ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.