Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had this phazer for 3 years and the same problem for the whole time,
1 or 2 pulls starts right up idles great and you can go 20 mph all day. the problem is when you try to open it up it cuts out like not getting enough gas ,had the carbs cleaned ,new fuel filter, new plugs, new pulse line and still the same thing i have put about a 1000 miles on it like this but tired of when i come to open field 1976 artics cats blow by me as i get the cut out any ideas would be very well recieved thank you

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am sure someone with more expertise than me will jump in but it really sounds like a clogged main jet to me. I assume compression is good in both cylinders?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for responding yes we did clean the carbs really well twice so don't think its that . have been reading all the forums for 2 years and have tried everything 4 hours yesterday changing pulse line thought for sure that was it but still the same

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like the black little plugs inside the carb bowels are in the wrong holes. I did that to two of my phazers last season. i'm at work, but when I get home later I'll tell you which holes(jets) are supposed to be plugged. It's a simple mistake. The sled will only go so fast, there is nothing over about 25mph, right?

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you remove carbs, remove bowls. Turn carbs upside down, with butterfly (inlet) side against your chest. The right jet(hole) and center jet(hole) should be plugged on both carbs with little black plugs. If they are not that is your problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took carbs off held them so the boots that go to air box were toward me black plugs were covering left and center hole changed them put all back together started first pull took out to field same thing i am about to burn this sled

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok just got a foot of fresh snow and setting inside instead of out riding if anyone knows theses phazers i am open to any suggestions

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when we took off carbs plugs were covering pilot jet- one pilot jet fell out with plug other was snugged up so do the plugs cover pilot jet or not?

·
Mr. Budget Mechanic
152 Posts
Check your spark plugs. Are they fouled? I suspect you may be too rich in the main jets. My Phazer ran nearly the same as yours when my mains were too big for my riding conditions. Make sure your pilot jet is screwed down tight. Adjust your main jets to suit your altitude and temperature range where you ride. Download the free manual here:http://www.snowmobileforum.com/yamaha-snowmobiles/39584-1984-1989-yamaha-phazer-manual-pdf.html

Follow the jetting chart.

My take on where the rubber carb plugs go: cover the pilot jet if you ride at high altitude; if you ride at lower elevations, try moving the plug to the other hole.

I've had similar issues with my Phazer and have experimented with jetting and rubber plug placement. For me, it ran best with 122.5 mains and the plug covering the pilot jet, but I think 125 mains might be ideal for my riding conditions. Bear in mind I ride at high elevations, about 8-9000 Ft.

More info in my thread here:http://www.snowmobileforum.com/yamaha-snowmobiles/55464-90-phazer-ll-excessive-smoking-wont.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok took the sled for a ride same thing 20 mph turn handwarmers on and sled almost died wondering if i have a bad ground or something like that?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ok, what do the spark plugs look like when you ride around for a few minutes? Are they both wet and some what oily? Also, at your carb, where the injector cable screws down to the throttle flange, when you pull up on the cable cover, how much free play do you have? Let me know on both those questions.

Possibly the injector cable is not adjusted properly so as you open the throttle to go faster its injecting more oil than gas. When you pull up on the outer cover on cable there should be 21 to 23 mm of play. If you have it only slightly screwed into the flange plate that could be issue. It should be about half of the way screwed in + or -. Check that out. Let me know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts