Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the sled last year it blew up, tore it down to discover a wiseco pro-lite in the mag side and the stocker in the other.... So replaced both pistons,pins,rings and so on. And by that time the snow was gone.

I know it needs tuning as it deff leaned out and melted down the piston. However i need the Anti-torque motor mount bolt. The one that looks like a J hook. I made one and it bent. I just finished one today out of allthread by welding another piece to the end at a 90deg angle and took it for a ride around but it worked a little loose, i think i can after a few tries get one that works but its annoying. So Does anyone know where i can find one of these? Or even the best way to make one?

It makes it hard to tune when your worried about the belt getting ripped to pieces. And i also need to tighten the track but thats another post. lol

Its a basket case, but man does it rip.

Side note, also what causes it to pick the right front ski up way farther than the left on accel? Is that due to the track ratcheting?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
What caused the motor to burn down to begin with? Did you fix that? If it has a bad crank seal or carb boot you're going to burn it down again. check www.alssnowmobile.com to see if they have that bolt you need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The link's microfiche doesn't go back far enough. It stops at 96. I looked through most of them and they aren't the same style as what i need. I did try to order from another site (can't remember the name) They did have the proper fiche but i got an email saying that the part is no longer available.

The first melt down. Was riding in a field going up a slope. Got onto it real hard and 5 or so seconds later is started to slow down I backed all the way out of the throttle but it was too late and it shut down before the sled even came to a stop. Tried refiring but it didn't feel right when pulling over and so i pulled the plugs and discovered no compression in the mag side. When i tore it down the piston was melted away at the ex port, just enough to let gasses pass around the top ring. This was the side that had the stock piston, the other side that had the wiseco prolite in it was fine although wash looked to be a little excessive from the pics i have seen and from what i hear it should be. (this was all last year about this time-mid january.

During the tear down i noticed that the carbs were missing the air jet (the one that is just inside the front bell that looks like a very small pipe thread plug. I believe that jet is to measure the amount of air that gets into the main jet correct? that would mean it leaned way out when i went WO and caused the problem. So i did either plug it or picked a size for it to start with, then all of the snow melted along with my motor mount bolt problem i haven't had it out until yesterday. I pretty much can't do throttle chops on it reading the plugs until i get that motor mount fixed so i don't shred my belt, and i need to tighten up the track also. It does seam to idle fine, I do think i sprayed some starting fluid around last year to see if the seals where leaking but i can't remember for sure, so i'll give it a shot again.

History on the sled. The previous owner has over sized carbs on it, i believe they are 40mm? i can't remember, i did measure them but I do not recall what they were. It does have the stock pipe and as far as i know everything else except being bored 20 over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take it out and try tuning the lower end as it has a little stumble off throttle but its 9 degree's and 10mph winds with gusts, its not a tuning friendly day. I also can not find any 1/8" ID hose to make my own manometer lowes does not have it and i don't think the hose i have will be tight enough to get a good seal. I'm going to try to find some today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also one last thing.

When tuning is it better to start at the low end? and work your way to the main jet or do you start with main and tweak your way down?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
40mm carbs are correct for a Mach 1. Start at the top end, then adjust the idle afterward. Make your air screw is one turn out from seated. When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scrap the tuning idea for a while. Lifted it up to check out the track tension and i'm out of adjustment. The rear axle is as far back as it can go in the slots for it to travel in and the adjuster bolts are not sticking out at all. Without any weight hanging on the track i can stick 2 fingers between the biggest gap with no problem so its about 2.5" and with weight would probably be around 3"
So guess that means new track.:mad:

And a few of the wheels are missing the rubber coating. I have one rear that has maybe a 2" section the rest is bare alum. 2 middles are falling apart and one other front looks like its not far behind giving me problems either. So i'l have to replace atleast 3-4 of them. Even with the one in the rear replaced its still not going to make up the difference in slack so i'll still need a track. (new post for that)

Ok, i'll have to measure again because i was pretty sure they were bigger than stock when checked last time, maybe I'm getting old and forgetful. I have had them apart about 3 times in the last year. But add one more to that since I'll be tearing them down while I'm looking around for parts.

Thanks for the tip on tuning. I'll remember that for when i get it ready :( lol

I'm about ready to pick up another chassis for parts if i can stumble into one. What years are interchangable?

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you have that many bad bogies your track might not be stretched too bad.

I had a couple rubberless bogies on my 97 Mach and thought my track might've been shot but when I replaced the wheels I had to readjust the tension and was fine.

Look for a used track, a lot of people toss perfectly fine tracks for next to nothing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have that many bad bogies your track might not be stretched too bad.

I had a couple rubberless bogies on my 97 Mach and thought my track might've been shot but when I replaced the wheels I had to readjust the tension and was fine.

Look for a used track, a lot of people toss perfectly fine tracks for next to nothing.

I'll probably replace the bogies first then look for a track. But if i find a good deal on the track i'll do that also. I'm just guessing by the way it looks that with the bogies replaced i'll still be out of adjustment so in the next year i'll probably need one anway.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Drill the holes that mount the suspension 1" back.There are already holes inside the tunnel,they are just not drilled through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great idea. I'll have to give it a look over tomorrow and see what i can do as i really hate to drop $ on a track when i don't even have all of the bugs worked out of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i guess that the holes were there to accommodate the longer track option? I havn't really looked over the sled much so i'm not exactly sure where the holes are. How many holes would i have to drill and are they easily seen?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The plate that is rivited inside the tunnel has several holes in it,but only one set is drilled through the tunnel.You would have to drill 6 holes all together.The one for the rear most mount only has a divit in.it sticks down below the tunnel.All the others can easily be seen from inside the tunnel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't get a chance to look at it today Looks like it won't happen until tue/wed but those 2 days i'll be able to tear into it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the suspension moved yesterday. I tightened up the tensioner even with all of the rubber missing from the rear idler it looks like i'll have about half the bolt left in adjustment. Now the fun part, getting the mid axle out to replace the wheels and the rear idler off to replace it before the parts get here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the rear idler off using a balancer puller, just put some all thread through the open parts of the wheel and tightened it down. The wheel broke in half but i just pounded the rest off and used a cut off wheel to chop the bearing in half and it came right off. The center axle came out with no problem after i got my impact on it. The fedex truck should be here anytime today and i'll start putting it together around midnight or later (work night shift and tue/wed nights are my night off)

Hoping to do some runs around the yard then head off to the fields for some tuning tomorrow. I just hope my home made anti tq motor mount holds up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts