Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an exciter in pretty good shape the other day, the guy that owned it didnt know much about sleds and spent $400 havin the carbs adjusted :laugh: It starts easy and purs at idle but wont rev over 4000 and will sit there all day and burn the belt. I took a video to show what im talking about, when i first start the sled the tors light flashes 3 times is that normal?

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i changed the belt out, track seems to turn alright, i havent had it on a stand yet. Im gonna put it on one now.

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Went to start it and the battery died like i expected it to, and the pullcords broke so i'll boost it tm and let you know what happens.Also could a loose torque stop cause this? My engine rocks loike its having a seisure but it purs

·
Registered
223 Posts
Disconnect the TORS from the throttle and connect the 2 wires together coming down from the handlebars and see if it takes off.

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
My son's Exciter did the same thing, it was the tors system. Disconnect the wires from the carbs and jumper the wires in the connector coming from the steering column. That should take care of your problem. Good luck!

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks theres a ground wire running down my steering column and to the battery ground u can see it in the vid is that it? Also theres 2 nipples on each carb that have no hoses on them but have antifreeze in them what are they for? Also does someone have pics of where the wires run to the carbs?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
after viewing your video, i would like to offer the following suggestions:

the tors is not activating
the tors light is supposed to do that on startup. its saying "hey, all systems go".
is the parking brake set?
is the track frozen to the ground?
is the rear suspension full of snow/ice and frozen to the track?
are the skis frozen to the ground?
the nipples on the carbs are for heating them via your cooling system, warm coolant flows through them. reduces icing of the carbs in low temps and certain snow conditions.
your primary appears to be engaging correctly, but the lack of any movement from the secondary is causing your belt to burn/smoke.
lift the rear of the sled off the ground and drop it a few times, make sure the skis are free, check the brake lock and see if that make the sled move.

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the sled will only rev to about 5500 on a stand, i made sure nothing was frozen and the brakes are all good. Do the secondaries on these seize alot? or do they get dirty and stick?

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sled will go downhill or on a flat but not very well, here's a vid of the secondary in action it looks alright to me.

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a seized clutch weight and another one was sticky gonna free those and see if that fixes it.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
sounds like your on to something.

the rollers and weights have bushings inside. there should be minimal play between the bushing and the pin it rides on. if the weights and rollers are in good shape but the bushings are bad, you can replace just the bushing and save some money. takes a special tool for removal and install.

·
Tinkerer
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It was the seized weight, its still sticky but i'll get it 100% tomorrow.It was nice to fly through the powder with it tonight though :D Also does anyone have a part# for those bolts that go through the weight rollers? by the looks of it i could use new rollers and bushings on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts