Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of possibly buying a 03 900 or snow checking an f7 sno pro was wondering how people liked the direct drive cause firecats have it in 05 and i heard a lot of bad things about it and was wondering the comparisons between the 2. the 900 has twin pipes reeds clutch work etc.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd wait and see if cat is going to realese any BIG twin to compete with the mach 1000. If you cant wait get the f7 then

·
Registered
105 Posts
i agree with the last post, rumors say that they will release an f9 to compete with the fusion and the machz. but the rumormill also said that the f9 was coming out this year. but who knows. as for the diamond drive i have not heard of any problems, should be nice. depending upon the riding that you do the zr900 and the f7 are pretty different. lake drag racing= zr900. cornering, ditchbanging, jumping=f7.

·
Registered
105 Posts
another thing to consider is that the zr900 will be worthless when it comes to trade in and resale value if/when an f9 comes out, whereas the f7 will hold value better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a friend that has a ZR800 and another with a ZR900 and they are both ordering 05 Firecats after the local Arctic Cat show.As far as the Diamond drive I have heard alot of people say they have heard of alot of problems but I have only seen one post from someone that actually has had a problem.If you still feel concerned about the DD then you can get the F-7 with reverse because that will have the old style drive system(No reverse with the Diamond drive yet)

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
I'm very sure that the Diamond Drive is not on the 04' FireCats. It was a new trait on the 05's. I think it is a very smart idea. Now that its been on the 900 a couple years i would imagine they have it running pretty good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2004 was the first year for the Diamond Drive to appear in a production sled on the 2004 ZR 900's. It was not in the firecats in 2004 but will be in 2005.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry cat guys, not bashing cat or nothing but there wont be an F9 or F10/F1, simply because nothing bigger than a 700 will fit into the F-chassis w/o costly modifications to the chassis. they would have to come out with a different platform (like skidoo did with the mach z's R/T platform). The F8 is a 700 motor bored out, and the current ZR900 motor will not fit. IMO, cat will come with a newer 900 or 1000 in 2 years, or as soon as next year, but NOT a firecat, maybe a replacement for the ZR900, similar to the fusion or something, the t-cat 1000's never were that quick so i doubt they will go that route, i see the Diamond Drive 900 in a new platform next year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SkidooMan said:
sorry cat guys, not bashing cat or nothing but there wont be an F9 or F10/F1, simply because nothing bigger than a 700 will fit into the F-chassis w/o costly modifications to the chassis. they would have to come out with a different platform (like skidoo did with the mach z's R/T platform). The F8 is a 700 motor bored out, and the current ZR900 motor will not fit. IMO, cat will come with a newer 900 or 1000 in 2 years, or as soon as next year, but NOT a firecat, maybe a replacement for the ZR900, similar to the fusion or something, the t-cat 1000's never were that quick so i doubt they will go that route, i see the Diamond Drive 900 in a new platform next year.
Of course they couldn' and wouldn't use the current ZR 900 engine in the F-chasis. According to my dealer Cat does have a 1000cc engine that is made for the Firecat chasis and he expects it to be released next year to compete with the new Fusion and MachZ. Hopefully he is right.

·
Registered
233 Posts
thats what our dealer said. also plan on seeing a l/c 570 b/c they are letting them into youth sno-pro.

·
Registered
431 Posts
my dealer says there working on an f 960??????:confused: Skidooman, what are you talking about. The thundercat was THE fastest production sled for many years and i think it still may be. I recall something like 127 mph:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
SkidooMan said:
don't open your mouth about something when you don't have any idea what you are talking about. a 1000cc will fit in a firecat chassis just fine with no chassis mods. ski-doo had to shrink down the REV chassis so much to try and compete with the firecats they could fit anything bigger than their slow REV 800cc motor which still can't beat an F7. 100cc bigger wasn't good enough so they had to go 300cc bigger. still probably won't gate an F7. cat will have a big firecat midseason. they didn't need to release it this year because no one has beat the F7 YET! they sit back and wait for someone to beat them and then drop a bomb on the competition. i have good friends that race and they work with D&D and have seen some of their big mod firecats with motors bigger than a F8. just watch out. the mach might have it's year in the spotlight but it will be taken out just like the old one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just hope they dont do away with the ZR chassis,im not a big fan of the Firecats.their a powerful sled but just not for me,i would much sooner ride a ZR

·
Registered
205 Posts
i've been hearing about big bore kits for the firecats that are F9 and F10!!!! they need new cranks tho and the whole kits are over 4k. i dont think either are out yet, but they sound nuts. i think theres 2 F9's "on the trails".:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts