Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that the timing is off on this? I had it apart to put crank seals in it, and I used a punch on the case half to mark where the stator was lined up. I was careful to align the marks but its backfiring at low and mid RPM's. It starts cleaning up around 6K but up till than it runs poorly and does not pull very hard. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
my sportbike used to do that all the time until I gave the carbs a good cleaning.
be sure to soak all your brass parts in a mug with some seafoam in it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since it warmed up to 40 degrees today it might be a good time to pull them both off again and give them a good soak. Thanks smokeshow81!

·
Registered
31 Posts
40degs? christ it's warm here at a -20celcius

no problem, hope it all works out. remember that rubber/plastic parts get washed with mild soap and the brass gets a good soak. seafoam is the only thing other then oil and gas that my motors get. best carb cleaner by far I've experienced as well is honda's carb cleaner. not sure why but everything just blasts off the metal. I've tried em all... that honda stuff will literally cut through an inch of stuck mud.
hope it all works out

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I pass a Honda shop and Napa on my way home, guess I'll be making a few stops today. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and that reminds me, I couldn't get the pilot jets out. Whoever had this before me destroyed the slotted head in it. Can I just soak the entire carb or will that damage something?

·
Registered
31 Posts
as long as the rubber/plastic stuff is out you can soak the entire carb. sad to hear about the pilot jets tho. hopefully my stuff is in decent shape when I start pulling it apart.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i had that with my phazer, lean condition.

my problem turned out to be a crack in the pulse line so it wasnt pulling enough fuel into the carbs in the low end

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man do I feel dumb!

It turns out that when the wiring harness from the stator is hitting the break disc it tends to wear through causing the wires to arc over each other thus you get intermittent spark (and a backfire). Watch your wiring fellas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts